This site is currently read-only as we are migrating to Oracle Forums for an improved community experience. You will not be able to initiate activity until January 30th, when you will be able to use this site as normal.

Forum Stats

• 3,889,869 Users
  • 2,269,775 Discussions
  • 7,916,823 Comments

Discussions

SQL Developer 20.4 will not start on Windows 10

User_OWSM5
User_OWSM5 Member Posts: 1 Green Ribbon

Have been fighting with this for a while. I have tried with the download packages that include the JRE, those that don't, the 32 bit version, installing in different locations (Program Files vs my project folder) and when I click on the exe, it seems to run for couple seconds and then just goes away. I never get any error or indication of anything happening.

Following instructions on other threads on this site, I ran the exe from the command line in BIN and got:

java.lang.module.FindException: Module jdk.jdi not found

I have verified that I have JRE 1.8:

C:\>java -version

java version "1.8.0_281"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_281-b09)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.281-b09, mixed mode)

I have seen some other posts about removing the JDK and just leaving the JRE, but unsure if I will need the JDK for other apps.

I have also uninstalled the JRE (including old versions) and reinstalled it.

My most recent extract/install was to Program Files/sqldeveloper, but it behaves the same as when I tried to run it from a project folder in My Documents.

At a bit of a loss as where to investigate next. Thanks for any pointers

David

Comments

• cormaco
    cormaco Member Posts: 2,071 Silver Crown

A JRE is not sufficient to run SQL Developer, you need either Oracle JDK 8 or 11.

The download with the bundled JDK should run out of the box.

• User_PKA23
    User_PKA23 Member Posts: 0 Green Ribbon

Yo tengo el mismo problema y no se resuelve de ninguna forma, ni se indica el error. No se que hacer.

• thatJeffSmith-Oracle
    thatJeffSmith-Oracle Master Product Manager NC, USAPosts: 8,927 Employee

If you're on windows, use the BIGGEST zip, that includes the JDK.

"Windows 64-bit with JDK 8 included Download(423 MB)"

• User_OWSM5
    User_OWSM5 Member Posts: 1 Green Ribbon

I finally got it to fun from within the big download, after deleting the user info folder. There are instructions in other posts here. Thanks everyone.

• sabari
    sabari Member Posts: 1 Blue Ribbon

I faced the same problem wherein SQL Developer was running only as Administrator and not in my login in Microsoft Windows 10 Pro. Got it resolved after I deleted C:\Users\<windows login name>\AppData\Roaming\SQL Developer\systemxx..x.x.xxx.xxxx folder.

• User_T5TYG
    User_T5TYG Member Posts: 1 Green Ribbon

I had similar issue. I had tried both the x64 (with JDK) and the x86. When I clicked on the sqldeveloper.exe, nothing came up but when I checked the Task Manager, it was running. This puzzled me a lot. I've watched videos and it should be very straightforward. I'm trying to figure out what I did or what was on my computer that's preventing from popping up. Finally, I tried to extract the file using 7-Zip, it finally worked. Previously, I just used the Windows built-in Extract ALL to extract the zipped file downloaded from Oracle but when I clicked on the sqldeveloper.exe, nothing came up.

I am using Windows 10 20H2.

-jm