Forum Stats

• 3,734,282 Users
  • 2,246,937 Discussions
  • 7,857,218 Comments

Discussions

Oracle Client License Documentation

Can anyone point me to an Oracle document that actually states that production use of the Oracle client is covered by the server license?

All of the documents I've found talk about how database is licensed, but nothing ever actually states that the client software is covered by the server license. I've found lots of posts where people say the client is covered by the server, but no response by a person who works for Oracle.

I have an Oracle database server I need to connect to on production. We need to use orapki to create the Oracle wallet for use with Oracle Data Access Component (ODAC). The DB server admin told me to download the full client from https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/oracle19c-windows-downloads.html, but the license agreement that shows up when you do the download explicitly states that it may not be used on production.

I asked the server admin to provide the Client software and they stated they can't because their licenses are for their use, but I suspect they didn't actually check what their license covered. I'm hoping if I point to a document that states the client is covered by the database license they will provide the client software since it's their license covering it.

I've attempted to get a response to my licensing issue by contacting Oracle multiple times over the past couple weeks using multiple email addresses and the most I've got out of that is that someone will contact me back, but that hasn't happened yet.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can provide. Of course, if someone knows a better way to get orapki I'd love to know that too. I'm also looking into the openSSL solution, but that's proving harder than getting an answer to the client license question.

Tagged:

Answers

• L. Fernigrini
    L. Fernigrini Data Engineer Sr Consultant Member Posts: 3,529 Bronze Crown

The software you download from the downloads pages (like the link you provided) are covered by a development license (formerly known as OTN license) and you are correct, they are not allowed for production environment.

But if you already have a license, you can download the client (or any other software covered by your license) on the e-delivery site:

https://edelivery.oracle.com/

Using the e-delivery site you can usually get the latest version, while the "free" download page does not always offer that.

AFAIK, client licenses are not purchased separately, they are included on your DB license, but that kind of questions you should ask to your Oracle sales rep..... You do not want to justify yourself on a lawsuit saying that some guy on the forums told you that they are not needed 😀

• User_X90X5
    User_X90X5 Member Posts: 1 Green Ribbon

Thanks for the response, unfortunately I don't have any Oracle licenses and the server admin who does have the license didn't believe he could send me the client, because of licensing.

I agree completely about getting a response from Oracle, but they seem unwilling to respond, so I was hoping someone would be able to point to an official Oracle document that I could then provide to the server admin to nudge them to provide the client.

• L. Fernigrini

Well, the "client" as a product does not exists on the Price List... so you cannot buy it:

Besides that I do not know where exactly is explained that the client does not require a license, but it must be somewhere...

• User_X90X5

Yeah I saw that too. I found quite a few documents that imply it, like one that talks about how to calculate the cost of database licenses, but just can't find a document that explicitly states the clients are covered by the database license. I appreciate the time you took to look for something.

• L. Fernigrini
  • User_X90X5

Thanks. I had previously looked at that one, but went through it again. It thought it was really strange that it doesn't list the client as a component since their Database licensing explicitly states you can only use the modules from the installer that your license agreement allows, basically what you've paid for. Strictly taken that would imply you can't use the client even though you paid thousands for the database license.

That page just needs one or two sentences to cover the client portion.

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,143 Gold Crown

My gut reaction is that your server admin is being obtuse, but there is one possible logical explanation for his position. It's not the client software, per se, that is licensed. But if there datbase license is based on 'named users', then it could be that supplying you with the software would imply exceeding theire licensed 'named users'.

• L. Fernigrini

Yes, that could be a reason, in that case the server admin should be contacted and should confirm the kind of licensing they are using, if that information is available.

• User_X90X5

Possibly, but if that was the case they'd have an issue with 'named user' either way since we'd be connecting to their server regardless of what software we used. They've already provided me the account, certificates and instructions on how to setup the connection.  I just need a licensed way to create the Oracle Wallet.  As far as I can tell the orapki is only in the Full Client and the Database packages.

I did try and get assistance from the server admin first, and they essentially said this is my issue to figure out. None of the other people who connect to their server have ever raised this issue. My suspicion is that everyone else just pulled down the package ran orapki and deleted it, but that's not something we can do in my environment.

• L. Fernigrini

From a technical point of view, you know what to do. Download the software from the downloads page that was supplied to you and go ahead.

From a licensing point of view, I never heard that the client was licensed, but it is not explicitly mentioned anywhere. I would not worry about having or not having a client license, I'm 99.99999% sure that it does not exist and the only required license is at server (database) level.

You shouldn't have issues with the version available on the downloads page (19.3) although you can patch it up to 19.11 (I think that is the latest version) if required, for that case you will need someone to provide you the patch from the Oracle support site. If they have a valid DB license and an active support contract they should be able to download it (although I doubt you will need it) if any error or issue arises. You may also consider downloading the 21c client (if you are installing it on Linux) , it will be able to connect to Oracle 19c and will be more up to date....

https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/oracle21c-linux-downloads.html

• User_X90X5

I really wish I could, but my organization is insanely strict on following license agreements. I even tried to argue that per the development license we can terminate the agreement (and audit) by deleting the software, so just download, run orapki, and delete, but that was a no go. I could provide them a hundred Oracle documents that imply the client is covered by the database license and it won't matter. I'll keep looking and maybe I'll finally get a response to one of the emails I've sent off to Oracle.