Forum Stats

• 3,851,982 Users
  • 2,264,055 Discussions
  • 7,904,924 Comments

Discussions

Why can't we access the exercise files exposed in the Java Complete Programming course?

Answers

• User_ZG9DQ
    User_ZG9DQ Member Posts: 0 Green Ribbon

@Martien van den Akker

Thx for uploading!

Still the issue is not solved by Oracle.

Offering a course for free doesn't have to result in changing the offered content, being downgraded to a "minor worth" user.

I've asked the trainer, for sending us the pdf, via linkedin ... waiting for a reply...

I'll let you guys know, respectively upload it!

happy eastern 😋

User_INBRAUser_9P51T
  • User_LXDGD
    User_LXDGD Member Posts: 0 Green Ribbon

Martien,

We like stubborn Dutch guys! Thanks...

I believe most of us stopped after we were an hour into the training realizing we were missing files. After hunting and finding we'd have to slog through the class without them, most likely moved unto to other training resources. It's good to know that as long as we can type quickly this class is doable with reasonable effort!

Cheers,

Erik

Martien van den Akker
  • Martien van den Akker
    Martien van den Akker Member Posts: 2,777 Bronze Crown

Hi Erik and others,

Yes indeed, I found it quite doable. Had quite some fun with it. However, there is one aspect where my solutions didn't match that of the instructor.

I think it was in Ch 9 you are to make the Products reviewable. And this is done in an immutable way: by adding a review you re-create the product, remove the old one from the map, and add the new one.

However, in Ch 13 you refactor the lot to have the data bulk loaded from files. I created the CSV files by transforming the earlier examples into CSV files. So I only have 6, instead of the 64 from the resources. The loading is done using streams and there for the Maps should be immutable during the processing of the stream. You should not add or remove products from the map. So my solution from Ch13 does not show stars for the products when running. But the video shows that the instructor's solution does show stars.

I reviewed my solutions several times against the video, thought it through over and over again, and concluded that it is logical that my solution didn't show the stars. And that the instructor's shouldn't either.

So, if anyone could point where my code misses something and how this should be implemented in a way that conforms to the statements in the lessons, I would appreciate it sincerely. I think it could be done by setting the rating during adding the reviews, but then the rating attribute of the product should be made mutable. And that is against earlier statements.

Kind regards,

Martien

User_GFS87
  • Martien van den Akker

Oh, and by the way: I finished the labs from Ch. 14.

User_GFS87User_508TK
  • User_839S1
    User_839S1 Member Posts: 2 Green Ribbon

What's up guys!

First: Martien van den Akker, you are the best "stubborn Dutch guy ...;)" in the world !!!

I really appreciate what you did for us.

Second: I'm a "stubborn Brazilian guy!;) Here, becouse of our country problems, politicals and ... whatever, all problems that we have here. We frequently say" I'm brazilian an I NEVER GIVE UP! ". You show to me that that effort has value, I'm finishing the course and I will be able to do all exercises much better thanks to you.

Sincerely,

Carlos Barros

Below is my contact on linkendin, if anyone wants to add on the network, just send it there. ;)

www.linkedin.com/in/carlos-barros-petro-br

Martien van den Akker
  • Martien van den Akker

Thanks Carlos,

You made me smile!

Kind regards,

Martien

• mserge
    mserge Member Posts: 0 Green Ribbon
    Actually there is error in practice 14. in printProductReport there is  Collections.sort(reviews); 
    And this code actually mutating the values in products map, but we have only the readlock there. 

So in my exercise I decided to copy the reviews list and sort the copy.

Anyway thank you Vasiliy and Oracle for this course.

BTW anyone can find the practice java-se-programming-complete-practice repo if you like.

Martien van den Akker
  • User_BK6UW
    User_BK6UW Member Posts: 1 Green Ribbon

Same here, so weird to let us view the videos on this course but not the materials to actually put it into practice. This isn't something that is theoretical, programming requires hard practice which is made unnecessarily harder when they don't give their own materials for even an online view or temporary basis.

Sure we can make our own programs but that will cause a problems for people where they make it too easy or hard for themselves.

• User_BK6UW
    User_BK6UW Member Posts: 1 Green Ribbon

Same here, so weird to let us view the videos on this course but not the materials to actually put it into practice. This isn't something that is theoretical, programming requires hard practice which is made unnecessarily harder when they don't give their own materials for even an online view or temporary basis.

Sure we can make our own programs but that will cause a problems for people where they make it too easy or hard for themselves.