Forum Stats

• 3,727,639 Users
  • 2,245,430 Discussions
  • 7,852,905 Comments

Discussions

Create connection without password in settings (by using wallet)

User_ZZQ0F
User_ZZQ0F Member Posts: 25 Green Ribbon

I have noticed that password has to be stored in settings even if I provide path to the wallet, during connection creation.

Is it possible to store connections in settings passwordless? Configured wallet should be enough to connect.

Answers

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    Christian.Shay -Oracle Posts: 1,852 Employee
    edited March 22

There's a checkbox in the connection dialog to "save password"? Are you unchecking that?

I don't believe simply using a wallet is sufficient. You still need to provide a username and password. Maybe I am wrong, but if I am please explain.

• User_ZZQ0F
    User_ZZQ0F Member Posts: 25 Green Ribbon

Connection cannot be created without providing a password.

If I provide a password and uncheck "Save password" box, then a password prompt appears each time I am trying to connect to DB.

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    Christian.Shay -Oracle Posts: 1,852 Employee
    edited March 24

Hi,

Thanks for your patience with this. I had a long discussion with our engineering team about the two issues you raised recently.

Based on the other thread you posted, we think there may be a misunderstanding about how you are able to connect without a password.

In the other thread, you said you are issuing:

CONNECT /@MY_DB

And your SQLNET.ORA contains:

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES =(NTS)

If so, this means you are on Windows and are using OS Authentication. The password is NOT coming from the wallet. It is coming from the Windows OS. The wallet is not involved. Generally the wallet is used to secure the network connection, not for authentication of a user id (not always - there is something called "global userid" but I don't think that is the case here).

If you are connecting as the connect statement above, and you are using that same sqlnet.ora as in the other thread, the next question is, have you ever gotten this (OS Authentication) working?

And if I am wrong in my assumptions, please let us know what platform you are on, what sqlnet.ora you are using, and what other tools are able to connect without a password and how they are configured.

Hopefully we can get your issues resolved soon but it might take a bit more back and forth.