Forum Stats

• 3,722,777 Users
  • 2,244,411 Discussions
  • 7,850,081 Comments

Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Database 11gR2 Express Edition for Windows x64

User_O3E8W
User_O3E8W Member Posts: 1 Green Ribbon

Hi there,

I downloaded this version of the database and installed it on Windows 10 64bits

Everything seemed to go very well, but there were almost no interaction screens to enter info. I just remember being asked about the password for admin, and to accept the default installation directory, which was C:\oraclexe. That was it! I know that normally you are asked about listener ports, and stuff like that... there was no question about if I wanted a desktop installation, or a server one, nothing. It was only the two questions I told you about.

On the windows 10 start menu I see these new programs: 1. Start database 2. Stop database 3. Execute SQL line commands. I have only tried the Execute SQL and it seems ok, I connect as HR (I first had to unlock the account and change the password for the schema), but when I try to change the configuration of the black window where you write the SQL commands I get an error. I get an error that reads something like " There was an error in trying to update the shortcut" What is this?

On the desktop I see an oracle database icon that says "Basic Concepts of Oracle Database 11g Express Edition" (the text may not be exactly this in english because I am translating from the portuguese). When I click on this icon it opens the browser with the following address http://127.0.0.1:8080/apex/f?p=4950:2:1081563591403194::NO , and I see a kind of dashboard with all the info about storage, and so on. My question here is: there were many times when I clicked the icon and I got an error that said something like "cannot the find the .... ", but now it's seems to be working. Don't know why.... i did not restart the pc, so I just cant understand it. I installed the database 2 hours ago. Could it have something to do with that? It taking some hours to startup some "secret" service?

My question is: was this a normal installation? I feel I missed some steps, but there was no error through the install process. The only thing is that I was only prompted for two questions.

Thanx in advance

Joao Tomas Castro Melo

Answers

• Billy Verreynne
    Billy Verreynne Member Posts: 28,101 Red Diamond

Oracle errors are in the format ORA-nnnn: error message.

Seems like you are seeing Windows errors. Oracle has no concept of what a shortcut is - that is a Windows desktop thing.

• User_O3E8W
    User_O3E8W Member Posts: 1 Green Ribbon

Thanx for your reply.

But anyway I had doubts about the installation process. Why did I not see those questions about if I wanted the desktop version, or server version, and didn't see either those questions about the port number, and so on? I just answered two questions: the password for sys, and the directory where to install the database. Is this normal?

thanx

• Billy Verreynne
    Billy Verreynne Member Posts: 28,101 Red Diamond

It depends on the type of installation chosen. Custom or advance installation options present more configuration choices.