Forum Stats

• 3,757,875 Users
  • 2,251,286 Discussions
  • 7,869,957 Comments

Discussions

Oracle Database 11gR2 Express Edition for Windows x64

Hi there,

I downloaded this version of the database and installed it on Windows 10 64bits

Everything seemed to go very well, but there were almost no interaction screens to enter info. I just remember being asked about the password for admin, and to accept the default installation directory, which was C:\oraclexe. That was it! I know that normally you are asked about listener ports, and stuff like that... there was no question about if I wanted a desktop installation, or a server one, nothing. It was only the two questions I told you about.

On the windows 10 start menu I see these new programs: 1. Start database 2. Stop database 3. Execute SQL line commands. I have only tried the Execute SQL and it seems ok, I connect as HR (I first had to unlock the account and change the password for the schema), but when I try to change the configuration of the black window where you write the SQL commands I get an error. I get an error that reads something like " There was an error in trying to update the shortcut" What is this?

On the desktop I see an oracle database icon that says "Basic Concepts of Oracle Database 11g Express Edition" (the text may not be exactly this in english because I am translating from the portuguese). When I click on this icon it opens the browser with the following address http://127.0.0.1:8080/apex/f?p=4950:2:1081563591403194::NO , and I see a kind of dashboard with all the info about storage, and so on. My question here is: there were many times when I clicked the icon and I got an error that said something like "cannot the find the .... ", but now it's seems to be working. Don't know why.... i did not restart the pc, so I just cant understand it. I installed the database 2 hours ago. Could it have something to do with that? It taking some hours to startup some "secret" service?

My question is: was this a normal installation? I feel I missed some steps, but there was no error through the install process. The only thing is that I was only prompted for two questions.

Thanx in advance

Joao Tomas Castro Melo

Answers

• Billy Verreynne
    Billy Verreynne Software Engineer Member Posts: 28,570 Red Diamond

Oracle errors are in the format ORA-nnnn: error message.

Seems like you are seeing Windows errors. Oracle has no concept of what a shortcut is - that is a Windows desktop thing.

• User_O3E8W
    User_O3E8W Member Posts: 1 Green Ribbon

Thanx for your reply.

But anyway I had doubts about the installation process. Why did I not see those questions about if I wanted the desktop version, or server version, and didn't see either those questions about the port number, and so on? I just answered two questions: the password for sys, and the directory where to install the database. Is this normal?

thanx

• Billy Verreynne
    Billy Verreynne Software Engineer Member Posts: 28,570 Red Diamond

It depends on the type of installation chosen. Custom or advance installation options present more configuration choices.