Forum Stats

• 3,752,067 Users
  • 2,250,454 Discussions
  • 7,867,707 Comments

Discussions

Oracle Forms licensing question: Is Forms deployment free of charge?

SebaVasta
SebaVasta Member Posts: 38 Red Ribbon

According to the Oracle Global Price list (https://www.oracle.com/assets/technology-price-list-070617.pdf )

Oracle Forms and Reports (page 4) processor licence is 23000 USD + 5060 USD support cost (i.e. Total cost is 28060 USD).

My question is whether this is for Development only or for both dev and deployment?

Suppose we have 10 Oracle developers and we develop a Forms application for which is used by 500 users.

Then should we pay 28060 USD for both development and deployment or can we just buy 10 x named user plus licenses? i.e. 10 x (460 + 101.20) = 5612 USD.

I.e. When you deploy a Forms application do Oracle Forms & Reports licensing comes into play or only the DB licensing comes into play for users who connect to the DB through the Forms app, or do both applies?

How does this work??

Answers

• Michael Ferrante-Oracle
    Michael Ferrante-Oracle Senior Principal Product Manager USMember Posts: 6,815 Employee

The license named "Forms and Reports" is only for runtime. It does not include any entitlements for using the design-time tools like Builders, etc. For application development and testing you need "Internet Developer Suite" (iDS).

There are no DB entitlements with "Forms and Reports" (F/R). iDS, however includes restricted use of DB and various other products but only for design-time purposes.

For production runtime purposes, if you move from the F/R to "Internet Application Server - EE" you get restricted use entitlements for DB-EE for the purpose of deploying the Fusion Middleware Infrastructure repository. This does not include entitlements for application data.

Check out the Fusion Middleware Licensing Guide and/or contact Oracle Sales for the latest information.

https://docs.oracle.com/en/middleware/fusion-middleware/fmwlc/

SebaVasta
  • SebaVasta
    edited Apr 29, 2021 5:37AM

Thanks for the reply Michael. But's it's looks so confusing.

You said that the application server (AS) we need to run forms is WLS.

But what is  Oracle iAS ??

"A license to iDS includes a restricted-use license to Oracle iAS Enterprise Edition. Use of Oracle iAS Enterprise Edition is restricted to testing and debugging applications developed with iDS."

Is it another AS??

Why do we need another AS??

Does this mean that we can use either WLS or iAS?? Confusing to be honest.

Also are you implying that an Oracle SW development company with 10 Forms & Reports developers have to pay a whopping 10 x (5,800 + 1,276.00) = 70760 USD to use the Forms and Report builder to build apps??? That is so expensive. Because it says only Named User Licenses are available for the Forms & Reports builders.

Michael Ferrante-Oracle Senior Principal Product Manager USMember Posts: 6,815 Employee

I think you are confusing software titles and license titles/names. For example; "WebLogic Server" is an application server (software). However, some examples of a license names that entitles you to use this software are "WebLogic Server Suite", "WebLogic Server Enterprise Edition", and "WebLogic Server Standard Edition". Each of these license packages come with varying levels of entitlements to, not only WLS but also other software in the Fusion Middleware family.

Another example is a license named "Internet Application Server - Enterprise Edition". This is a license name. Oracle no longer ships software with this name. However, we do have a license named "iAS-EE" and it includes a variety of Fusion Middleware software entitlements.

So here is summarized look at what licensing options are available for the purpose of using the Forms and Reports technologies:

For application developers; a license named "Internet Developer Suite" is required. This is a per/named-user license. The license includes entitlements for many software titles, as well as consume entitlements from other license sets for the purpose of testing and development.

For production runtime (does not include design-time entitlements); you can use any one of the following license names, which again contains entitlements to use numerous Fusion Middleware and other technologies. Listed here in order of least costly to most costly. It should hopefully be obvious that the more costly options include more entitlements.

• "Forms and Reports"
    • "Internet Application Server - Enterprise Edition"
    • "WebLogic Server Suite"

Again, contact Oracle Sales or your Oracle Account Manager for official details and the latest information.

SebaVasta
  • SebaVasta
    edited May 6, 2021 5:08AM

For production runtime  instead of WLS Suite can't we just use WLS standard edition??

Or is it the WLS standard edition that comes with the "Forms and Reports" option?

edited May 6, 2021 12:00PM

@SebaVasta Please re-read what I posted. What I stated previously are your only options. The "Forms and Reports" and "Internet Application Server - EE" licenses include what is called "WLS Basic". Refer to the FMW Licensing Guide for details on each of these license titles.

https://docs.oracle.com/en/middleware/fusion-middleware/fmwlc

SebaVasta
  • SebaVasta

Michael , one last thing. I am trying to find out how much it cost to develop applications in Oracle.

So, for Oracle Internet Developer Suite which is only available in named-used license, suppose we have 7 Oracle Forms developers.

My understanding is that you have to pay the named-user license amount $5800 only once. However "Software Update License & Support" ($1276) has to paid EVERY YEAR (I assume).

So, if you have a 7 Oracle Forms developer organization are you saying we have to pay this amount below for 5 years.

5800 * 7 + (1276 * 7 * 5) = 85260.

That comes to an average annual cost of 85260/5 = $17052 per developer, which is quite a big amount to pay for a developer.

Is my calculation correct or is the "Software Update License & Support" also has to payed only ONCE (unlike for the DB which has to paid every year)?

@SebaVasta As I mentioned earlier, please contact Oracle Sales or your Oracle Account Representative for pricing information.