Forum Stats

• 3,728,033 Users
  • 2,245,522 Discussions
  • 7,853,253 Comments

Discussions

12c: I can access forms/frmservlet:9001 locally but not from another machine - do I need OHS?

User_WO4F7
User_WO4F7 Member Posts: 3 Red Ribbon
edited May 3 in Forms

Hi all - I have a 12.2.1.3 Weblogic domain with Forms 12.2.1.4 installed on Windows 2019. Everything works fine on the local server hosting this configuration. I can run my forms just fine. But when I try to run a form (or even the default Oracle test.fmx) from another machine on the same network (verified by ping and other methods), I get variations on "can't reach this page" (if I am running from a browser), and from FSAL I get "Connection timed out: connect."

By "local" server I mean the server hosting Weblogic and the Forms infrastructure. By "remote" I mean a separate computer (I've tried both Windows 10 and Windows 2019 machines as clients).

I am 1,000% positive that the machines (local and remote) can see each other. I can Remote Desktop from one to another, and I can run SQLDeveloper on one machine and make a TNS connection to a database on the other, so I take this as good evidence that the machines can see each other.

Here is the browser command I use, which works fine on the server but can't connect from remote machine:

http://hostname.com:9001/forms/frmservlet?config=myconfig

From a remote machine, the above command in a browser produces "Can't reach this page" (in IE).

And here is the FSAL command I use, which works fine on the local server but times out from a remote server

.\jre1.8.0_281\bin\java -jar .\jre1.8.0_281\bin\frmsal.jar -url "http://hostname.com:9001/forms/frmservlet?config=myconfig_fsal" -t 120000 -showConfig true

From a remote machine, the above command produces "Connection timed out: connect".

It acts like the Forms Listener servlet on the Weblogic/Foms hosting server is not getting or responding to the request from the remote client.

Do I need to configure and run OHS? The Oracle docs says it's optional. I started OHS in EM on the server but the problem persisted. I have not done the extra config steps so that OHS hands off requests to the Forms Listener servlet, but again, I read this as optional, and don't want to add configuration steps and complexity if I don't have to.

I have a feeling this is something simple. In my experience, the longer it takes to solve a problem (going on 2 days in this case), the simpler the solution is when you find it.

I swear on my mousepad that the two servers can see each other.

Thanks for any help.

Robert

Best Answers

• Michael Ferrante-Oracle
    Michael Ferrante-Oracle Member Posts: 6,545 Employee
    Accepted Answer

You do not need OHS. Using OHS is completely optional. It is highly probably that you have a networking issue. Just because you can open a shell and ping another box doesn't necessarily mean that you can connect to a listener running on it. There are countless things that might prevent it from working. Here are just a few examples:

1. Host name of the server is not recognized on the network (e.g. not DNS registered). Try using the IP address instead of hostname
    2. The server has inbound ports blocked. This can be either by the OS software or alternative security software you may have installed (e.g. McAfee, Symantec, etc).
    3. The client has outbound ports blocked. (similar to #2)
    4. Client and server are not on the same sub-net (similar to #1)

There are many other possibilities like this that could cause the issue. A good test is to try a different port. For example, from the failing client can you access the WLS Console (http://server:7001/console)? If not, this helps to support what I said above.

Another test you can do in order to rule out your speculation is bypass the Forms Servlet. Can you get to this page: http://server:9001/forms/html/fsal.htm

Also, what exactly do you mean that you have 12.2.1.4 using a 12.2.1.3 domain? Are you suggesting you upgrading a 12.2.1.3 home to 12.2.1.4?

• User_WO4F7
    edited May 4 Accepted Answer

Michael - Thank you for the quick reply and suggestions, and for clarifying that I do not need OHS.

You were right - it was a networking issue. All I had to do was open port 9001 on the server. Duh! Your clue about trying the WLS Console at 7001 was what led me to it.

I was right about the time spent trying to figure it out being inversely proportional to the simplicity of the solution. 🤣

I was wrong about our WLS version: it's 12.2.1.4, same as the Forms Infrastructure. So everything is 12.2.1.4.

I have also appreciated and learned much from your other well-stated replies to others with questions about Forms and related topics. Thanks for taking the time to do this on this forum - very valuable to all of us.

BTW: I am so glad to have FSAL, and have adopted it as our method of delivery, as I sense developers are. We use Launch4J to wrap it into an .exe along with copy of the jre (as was suggested elsewhere on this forum), then use Inno Setup to wrap it all into an installer. We sign both executables. Works great - no need for clients to fuss with Java on their machines. So glad to have the browser/java troubles in the rear view mirror.

Thanks again for the reply and correct answer.

Robert

Answers

Accepted Answer

You do not need OHS. Using OHS is completely optional. It is highly probably that you have a networking issue. Just because you can open a shell and ping another box doesn't necessarily mean that you can connect to a listener running on it. There are countless things that might prevent it from working. Here are just a few examples:

1. Host name of the server is not recognized on the network (e.g. not DNS registered). Try using the IP address instead of hostname
    2. The server has inbound ports blocked. This can be either by the OS software or alternative security software you may have installed (e.g. McAfee, Symantec, etc).
    3. The client has outbound ports blocked. (similar to #2)
    4. Client and server are not on the same sub-net (similar to #1)

There are many other possibilities like this that could cause the issue. A good test is to try a different port. For example, from the failing client can you access the WLS Console (http://server:7001/console)? If not, this helps to support what I said above.

Another test you can do in order to rule out your speculation is bypass the Forms Servlet. Can you get to this page: http://server:9001/forms/html/fsal.htm

Also, what exactly do you mean that you have 12.2.1.4 using a 12.2.1.3 domain? Are you suggesting you upgrading a 12.2.1.3 home to 12.2.1.4?

• User_WO4F7
    edited May 4 Accepted Answer

Michael - Thank you for the quick reply and suggestions, and for clarifying that I do not need OHS.

You were right - it was a networking issue. All I had to do was open port 9001 on the server. Duh! Your clue about trying the WLS Console at 7001 was what led me to it.

I was right about the time spent trying to figure it out being inversely proportional to the simplicity of the solution. 🤣

I was wrong about our WLS version: it's 12.2.1.4, same as the Forms Infrastructure. So everything is 12.2.1.4.

I have also appreciated and learned much from your other well-stated replies to others with questions about Forms and related topics. Thanks for taking the time to do this on this forum - very valuable to all of us.

BTW: I am so glad to have FSAL, and have adopted it as our method of delivery, as I sense developers are. We use Launch4J to wrap it into an .exe along with copy of the jre (as was suggested elsewhere on this forum), then use Inno Setup to wrap it all into an installer. We sign both executables. Works great - no need for clients to fuss with Java on their machines. So glad to have the browser/java troubles in the rear view mirror.

Thanks again for the reply and correct answer.

Robert

Happy to hear you got things working. Also happy to hear FSAL is working out for you. You'll might be happy to hear that we are planning a few enhancements to FSAL in the next release. Exactly what we deliver is unknown at the moment, but several ideas are being reviewed.

If you have any new feature suggestions you'd like to share, please post them in the following thread:

https://community.oracle.com/tech/developers/discussion/4336803/oracle-forms-new-feature-ideas#latest

Michael Ferrante

Senior Principal Product Manager

Application Development Tools

Oracle