Forum Stats

• 3,734,237 Users
  • 2,246,916 Discussions
  • 7,857,196 Comments

Discussions

What is SID and how it works?

Hello there

So, I just got a job as a trainee and my boss gave me a bunch of scripts to execute and create a DB, I executed as he said and configured IIS too, but when I try to access the address I get the ORA-12505. Already looked for a bunch of answers and possible solutions (3 to be more precise) and none of it works, so I am here trying to learn what a SID is and how to configurate it (if you can configurate it)

Thanks in advance for your time and your help.

Best Answer

• Billy Verreynne
    Billy Verreynne Member Posts: 28,280 Red Diamond
    edited May 14, 2021 5:52AM Accepted Answer

SID can mean many things. Usually Session ID or System ID in Oracle.

The ORA-12505 error refers to System ID:

12505, 00000, "TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connect descriptor"

Oracle database instances registers their SIDs and database services with Oracle Listeners.

A client connection requests from the Listener, to be connected to a database instance via SID or service name.

In your case, the error is that the client request to be connected to a SID that the Listener does not know about.

The database instance can be down and thus not have registered its SID. The database instance could have an incorrectly configured parameter LOCAL_LISTENER and thus not be contacting the Listener. The Listener could be using a TCP endpoint that differs from the LOCAL_LISTENER of the db instance. The client could be requesting an invalid SID (common in Oracle RAC clusters where service name should be used).

Use command lsnrctl services to see the registered services with a Listener.

User_G9K74

Answers

• nihitthakkar
    nihitthakkar Member Posts: 121 Blue Ribbon

A SID, short for security identifier, is a unique ID number that a computer or domain controller used to identify user, group, and computer accounts in Windows. They're created as a string of alphanumeric characteristics when the account is first made in Windows and no two SIDs on a computer are ever the same. The term security ID is sometimes used in place of SID or security identifier.

The SID (Security Identifier) is a unique ID number that a computer or domain controller uses to identify you. It is a string of alphanumeric characters assigned to each user on a Windows computer, or to each user, group, and computer on a domain-controlled network such as Indiana University's Active Directory.

User_G9K74
  • Billy Verreynne
    Billy Verreynne Member Posts: 28,280 Red Diamond
    edited May 14, 2021 5:52AM Accepted Answer

SID can mean many things. Usually Session ID or System ID in Oracle.

The ORA-12505 error refers to System ID:

12505, 00000, "TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connect descriptor"

Oracle database instances registers their SIDs and database services with Oracle Listeners.

A client connection requests from the Listener, to be connected to a database instance via SID or service name.

In your case, the error is that the client request to be connected to a SID that the Listener does not know about.

The database instance can be down and thus not have registered its SID. The database instance could have an incorrectly configured parameter LOCAL_LISTENER and thus not be contacting the Listener. The Listener could be using a TCP endpoint that differs from the LOCAL_LISTENER of the db instance. The client could be requesting an invalid SID (common in Oracle RAC clusters where service name should be used).

Use command lsnrctl services to see the registered services with a Listener.

User_G9K74