Forum Stats

• 3,840,180 Users
  • 2,262,573 Discussions
  • 7,901,162 Comments

Discussions

Is there any way to deploy apex 21.1 version to apex 18.1?

AllenS.
AllenS. Member Posts: 74 Blue Ribbon
edited May 26, 2021 2:14AM in APEX Discussions

Hi,

We made a hasty decision of upgrading our APEX development instance from 18.1 to version 21.1 over the weekend. Unfortunately, there were still on-going application enhancements in our dev instance and needs to be deployed to our Test and Prod instances accordingly.

However, when we try to export our applications from the dev instance (21.1) to our Test instance (18.1), it returns an error "NOT COMPATIBLE (Your export may contain calls not supported by your Application Express version.)"

Is there anyway we can export from the 21.1 that is compatible to the 18,1 version?

UPDATE:

Just wanted to add that the application compatibility mode is set to 5.1/18.1/18.2. This is in the version 21.1 instance where we do the export.

Regards,

Allen

Best Answer

• Hilary Farrell-Oracle
    Hilary Farrell-Oracle Software Development Senior Manager Member Posts: 2,365 Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi Allen,

I'm afraid we have never supported, and have no plans to support, importing & running an APEX app from a newer release in an older release. Please note that changing the compatibility mode will have no impact whatsoever in addressing this scenario.

One option you could consider is Reverting to a Previous Release After a Failed Upgrade Scenario, as outlined in the 21.1 Installation Guide. While your upgrade hasn't failed, you do have the ability to revert to the older release - as long as you haven't already removed the APEX_180100 schema, of course. If you must continue your development effort using APEX 18.1, in order to export/import to other environments, then this may be your best option. Please ensure you fully read the documentation before proceeding with this step.

Regards,

Hilary

AllenS.

Answers

• jariola
    jariola Member Posts: 10,831 Gold Crown

That isn't possible. Target instance APEX version need to be same or higher. It has been always this way.

Awais Majeed
  • onedeveloper
    onedeveloper Member Posts: 16 Red Ribbon
    edited May 26, 2021 5:06AM

You could switch your app to 18 version compatibility (you have done that). You must also remove 21 features if you have any (and you have, because of the message you get). If you want to keep that features then it is not possible.

Is there any reason for having test instance on older version?

• AllenS.
    AllenS. Member Posts: 74 Blue Ribbon

I have not added any version 21.1 feature when I exported the application but still it did not work.

We normally upgrade dev first, then test and so on. The problem was were not able to think this far when we decided to upgrade our dev intance to 21.1. I guest we could downgrade or use our test instance as our dev instance for now.

• Hilary Farrell-Oracle
    Hilary Farrell-Oracle Software Development Senior Manager Member Posts: 2,365 Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi Allen,

I'm afraid we have never supported, and have no plans to support, importing & running an APEX app from a newer release in an older release. Please note that changing the compatibility mode will have no impact whatsoever in addressing this scenario.

One option you could consider is Reverting to a Previous Release After a Failed Upgrade Scenario, as outlined in the 21.1 Installation Guide. While your upgrade hasn't failed, you do have the ability to revert to the older release - as long as you haven't already removed the APEX_180100 schema, of course. If you must continue your development effort using APEX 18.1, in order to export/import to other environments, then this may be your best option. Please ensure you fully read the documentation before proceeding with this step.

Regards,

Hilary

AllenS.