Forum Stats

• 3,757,798 Users
  • 2,251,267 Discussions
  • 7,869,917 Comments

Discussions

Feature request: execution timing

In the output pane, it would be nice if there was a timestamp printed before the output. Or somewhere showing how long execution took. I can do it myself manually in my scripts but it sure is handy when it's there. Alternatively (or additionally) showing it in the sql history would be nice.

Best Answer

• Bjego
    Bjego Member Posts: 23 Red Ribbon
    Accepted Answer

Hey Ray,

you can do the following as a workaround, first run this snippet:

set TIMING on;

and then your query. Then the grid shows the execution time. But I agree it woul be great if this would be done by the tool automatically. You only have to run the set timing on query once in your session.

Best

Answers

• Ray007
    Ray007 Member Posts: 37 Bronze Badge

Also consider showing which connection output is from. If you open a sql file, execute it against connection A, then change to connection B and execute again, there is currently nothing in the output window showing what is from where. Perhaps before executing printing out

<systimestamp> Connection Name: starting

output here

<systimestamp> Completed in XX.XX.xxx time

• Bjego
    Bjego Member Posts: 23 Red Ribbon
    Accepted Answer

Hey Ray,

you can do the following as a workaround, first run this snippet:

set TIMING on;

and then your query. Then the grid shows the execution time. But I agree it woul be great if this would be done by the tool automatically. You only have to run the set timing on query once in your session.

Best

• Ray007
    Ray007 Member Posts: 37 Bronze Badge

Thanks. Is there a way to set a script to run on every connect in this tool to setup a few things? I'm thinking:

• set TIMING on;
    • setup some NLS settings for viewing timestamps, dates, etc....
    • set some column widths