Forum Stats

• 3,733,857 Users
  • 2,246,830 Discussions
  • 7,856,898 Comments

Discussions

"setTextContents" not working in Oracle Forms

User_91RWN
User_91RWN Member Posts: 3 Green Ribbon

Function "setTextContents" in Java Access Bridge not working with Oracle Forms when I set text value for an editable text field.

Already test with other Java applications, all of them works well.

Any other solutions on this? Thanks!

Platform: Windows 10

JDK: 1.8.291 x64

Oracle Forms Version: 12c

Answers

• Michael Ferrante-Oracle
    Michael Ferrante-Oracle Senior Principal Product Manager USMember Posts: 6,627 Employee

Please provide more detail about what you are doing and what you are using to do it.

1. Exactly which Forms version are you using?

2. On what platform and version is Forms installed?

3. On what platform and version are you running the application (end-user)?

4. What JRE version are you using to run the application (end-user)?

5. Explain what you mean by "Function "setTextContents" in Java Access Bridge not working...". Error, crash, nothing???

6. Since Forms does not natively expose a way for you (the app developer) to call into JAB, what exactly do you mean by this statement and how are you accomplishing it: "....when I set text value for an editable text field"?

7. Are you using a screen reader like JAWS? If so, specifically which are you using and which version?

• User_91RWN

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your kindly remind.

List your queries as below:

1. Froms version: 12.2.1.4
    2. Platform: unknown(end user does not known the server-side) Forms version: 12.2.1.4
    3. Platform: Windows 10 Enterprise x64 version 1909 OS Build 18363.1556
    4. JRE version: 1.8.291 x64(also 1.8.291 x86)
    5. JAB internal function "setTextContents" returns "0", as reference form JAB document, this means failed when try to invoke function. But function works well in other Java application, you can easily try within Java configuration.
    6. As you mentioned, Forms does not provide method to do this. So I choose directly use JAB internal function from DLL(WindowsAccessBridge.dll) to set text value.
    7. No. I'm not using the JAWS.

Here is the example for get information for java applications: https://github.com/google/access-bridge-explorer

Michael Ferrante-Oracle Senior Principal Product Manager USMember Posts: 6,627 Employee

Please carefully re-read my questions.

Access Bridge is a component of the Java JRE. It is used by screen reader technologies and is generally intended for interaction with Accessibility functionality.

.1. I asked, are you using screen reader software. You said "NO". If you are not trying to use a screen reader technology, what are you trying to accomplish by interacting with JAB? Why are you using AB-Explorer?

.2. As I stated, Forms does not expose a way to natively interact with JAB. You said, "I choose directly use JAB internal function from DLL(WindowsAccessBridge.dll) to set text value." How are you trying to do this and why are you doing it?

.3. I asked on what platform is Forms installed. You said, "end user does not known the server-side". I don't understand your answer, so I ask again, on what platform is Forms installed?

• User_91RWN

Hi Michael,

Please check my comment as below.

1. I'm not using screen reader software. Actually I'm using screen reader technology, but not software like JAWS, I'm try to automate Oracle Forms like automate a java application.
    2. From end user side, I can not access management platform for Oracle Forms, so I need find another way to automate this. Actually the "component"(AccessibleContext) on Oracle Forms can be identify by JAB out of Form's support.
    3. Same as previous. I can not get the platform information about Forms installed.

So you don't have access to the server where the software is installed and where the application lives and you want to intercept and inject calls into this running app? Basically you are an end-user attempting to control a running application on the client tier. Sounds a bit suspicious if you ask me. 😉

Since we really can't expose exactly how Forms works internally, what I can say is that we do know that Forms does work correctly with screen reader technologies.

If you or your organization is looking for test automation technologies that are compatible with Forms, there are several on the market. However, all likely will require setup on the server to use them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=oracle+forms+testing