Lasantha Ranjana Bandara
Lasantha Ranjana Bandara Member Posts: 7 Red Ribbon

Hello Team,

I'm getting the below attached

error when running custom forms. The form is used to read an excel file and

pass the values to a database table. I have configured the WEBUTIL in the forms

environment, which is on E-Business Suite application in a Linux OS. I have

successfully compiled the custom form in the specified EBS AU_TOP. Once the

form is running, the errors are generated.

Please advise on the way forward.

Tagged:

Answers

• Michael Ferrante-Oracle
    Michael Ferrante-Oracle Senior Principal Product Manager USMember Posts: 6,840 Employee

There are several parts to use the WebUtil add-on. Configuring the environment is only one part. You need to accomplish these steps:

.1. Install the DB objects associated with WebUtil. Once installed, all users running WebUtil enabled forms will need to have access to these objects so, regardless of the schema you choose to create these objects, be sure to grant access to all users. The sql script is provided in Oracle_Home\forms. The file name is create_webutil_db.sql

.2. Generate webutil.plx from webutil.pll (typically found in a Forms Oracle_Home\forms directory). This plx can remain in this directory as long as FORMS_PATH includes a reference to this directory. Since webutil.olb is also needed for generation and lives in the same directory, adding this directory to FORMS_PATH (if not already there) is recommended.

.3. Attach the WebUtil object group from webutil.olb to your module that you want to WebUtil enable.

.4. Attach webutil.pll to the module you want to WebUtil enable.

.5. Execute a compile_all plsql on the module before saving then generating. This can be done from the command line or within the Builder by pressing Shift+Ctrl+K

.6. Configure the environment. An example of the needed Web Configuration is provided in the standard Forms installation in formsweb.cfg.

It will also be necessary to obtain the third party library set, JACOB. Exactly which version you need will depend on the Forms version you are using. Unfortunately, I don't believe older versions are available any longer and as far as I know EBS requires that you use Forms 10.1.2 which will need an older JACOB version. Once/if you obtain the JACOB libraries and JAR file, you will need to sign the JAR file using a trusted/know certificate. Details about how to sign JAR files can be found in the Java documentation.

Lasantha Ranjana Bandara
  • Lasantha Ranjana Bandara

Hello @Michael Ferrante-Oracle ,

Thanks for the reply. The above specified steps have been performed on the Forms Builder running environment, and I have successfully compiled the FMB to FMX file. This is a Windows based environment, which is used to do the required changes on the forms.

When considering the Oracle E-Business Suite environment which is on Linux, the above specified FMB is required to be recompiled. When compiling the FMB, the required plx & olb were copied to the resource folder (inside the AU_TOP in the EBS App folder), and the respective compilations were successfully done without errors. I have performed the above steps given by you, in the Linux environment in order to achieve the WEBUTIL functionality. Referred the web_util.pdf file sent with the WEBUTIL sources .ZIP file. Went through the checklist specified on the same. When I run the forms, the errors specified are occurring. Hope you understand the situation explained here.

Attaching the PDF file and the steps to be configured txt file comes with the WEBUTIL source files.

Appreciate your inputs on the same.

Michael Ferrante-Oracle Senior Principal Product Manager USMember Posts: 6,840 Employee

You cannot move generated Forms modules from platform to platform. In other words, you cannot take an FMX, MMX, or PLX from Windows and move it to Linux. You must generate those X files on the machine where the server software is installed.

Regarding your use of sign_webutil.bat, you will not be able to use this. This will generate a self-created certificate and use it to sign the JARs. Although this can technically be used for local testing, it would be impractical to use it in production and is consider unsafe. You need to obtain a "real" trusted certificate from a known Certificate Authority (e.g. Verisign, Thawte, Comodo, etc). They can also provided the information needed to properly sign your file(s).

You added jacob.jar to CLASSPATH. There is no reason to do this and it can be removed.

Unfortunately, I haven't used Forms 10.1 in 10+ years so I don't recall exactly what was included and configured by default. So my ability to offer much more will be limited.

That said, regardless of the version the error message ("... bean not found...") is a fairly straight forward message. It means exactly what it says. The WebUtil objects you added to your module are bean items. Those bean items expect to find associated Java code. If either the bean objects or the Java code (frmwebutil.jar) are missing (not found) you will get that error. So troubleshooting is generally fairly simple. Check the Java console. Do you see that frmwebutil.jar is being downloaded? If yes, you can assume the issue is in the form (module).

Lasantha Ranjana Bandara

Thank you for the update. Yes, you're right on the transferring of compiled components between OS platforms, and is acknowledged. On signing of the JAR files, the client is using the production on a closed network, where it can only be accessed by the internal teams. Does this affect the JAR files signing? As per your comment, it's only UNSAFE, and is technically feasible on the implementation. I hope that my understanding is correct, and we are on the same page.

Check the Java console. Do you see that frmwebutil.jar is being downloaded?

How is this verified? I'm attaching the exact Java console output for your reference. I understand the the application cannot obtain or find the frmwebutil.jar file where it's required. The only issue I see is, I understand the concept of how it's executed during the runtime, and the way I'm doing the configuration in the wrong. Please have a look at the Java console from your end and provide your inputs so that I know where I have gone wrong. Appreciate your support on the same.

Apologies if I have misunderstood any point.

Looking at your console output, it appears that frmwebutil.jar is not being downloaded. Look closely at the console contents at what happens with JARs that are found. Then consider frmwebutil.jar. It isn't even listed much less identified as "not found". This suggests that your configuration is not being read. Since I know little about how EBS is configured, I can't offer much other than to say that unless this JAR is downloaded by the applet WebUtil will not work.

As for JAR signing, forgetting about the fact that I mentioned that using self-generated certificates may not be a good idea, if you use self-generated you will have to manually import the public side of your certificate into each user's machine. By not doing that they will be prompted with an ugly/scary looking warning dialog each time they run the application. Personally, this is not exactly a professional feeling experience.

Apologies on the delayed response. As per my understanding, the WEBUTIL is not properly configured. I found a diagnostic form from the Oracle support, where it specifies that the Virtual directory required for the '/webutil' is not configured. This is specified in the orion-web.xml file. I have updated the same in the EBS environment, and the issue still persists. The virtual directory is not set although the required configuration is completed. You can advise me if any.

Regarding the JAR signing, this is highlighted to the client. Thanks for the inputs on the same.