Forum Stats

• 3,816,115 Users
  • 2,259,144 Discussions
  • 7,893,390 Comments

Discussions

Best Database to store video and image

Hi All,

We will need to store video and image to be available in the App to run them very quickly.

Since Oracle database is not the best place to store video and image in BLOB datyatype, I'd like to ask you guys what could be the best technology following market practices currently for storing video and image, focusing on availability, performance and security. 

Is Nosql database a good option to be used for quick access to videos, or any other technology to quickly run video and images in the

application? What should be the recommendation in this case?

Thanks,

Best Answer

Answers

• Billy Verreynne
    Billy Verreynne Software Engineer Member Posts: 28,803 Red Diamond
    edited Jul 14, 2021 6:23AM

Since Oracle database is not the best place to store video and image in BLOB datyatype

Any evidence to substantiate this claim? Or is it a cyber ninja there must be bamboo in the paper thing??

Come on!!

I'm waiting for some ignoramus to tell me that my APEX video training channel for our corporate customers that plays videos from database BLOBs is a figment of my imagination.

And also justify your double posting https://community.oracle.com/tech/developers/discussion/4486743/java-app-and-video-files-persistent-layer

• kazyskiyn0w
    kazyskiyn0w Member Posts: 190 Blue Ribbon

HI Billyt

Thank you for your comment.

I just don't understand why you are so aggressive in your post.

My intention is just to do a brainstorm, where people can share their experience, detailing what technologies are the best practices for storing videos.

What I meant when I wrote "Oracle database is not the best technology to store videos" in BLOB format in a transactional database is because it will use a lot of space, and the response time for the query may not be good. But this is just my observation, don't be offended by it.

If you want to share your experience in storing videos in the Oracle database, it will be appreciated.

• kazyskiyn0w
    edited Jul 14, 2021 12:57PM

If anyone else had a positive experience in storing video on the Oracle database, and could detail how it was implemented and if you had a good response time to query the video in the App, it would be much appreciated.

• Billy Verreynne
    Billy Verreynne Software Engineer Member Posts: 28,803 Red Diamond

Criticising the Oracle database as a matter of course without any justification rubs me the wrong way. Especially when this warrantless and evidence lacking statement is made as fact by Java and NoSQL developers that typically are extremely ignorant of the RDBMS technology in general, and of the Oracle database technology specifically.

What I meant when I wrote "Oracle database is not the best technology to store videos" in BLOB format in a transactional database is because it will use a lot of space, and the response time for the query may not be good.

Untrue. You do not understand "transactional". Overheads of a billion transactions on commit is the same as that of a single row. None. The same applies to a 1KB row or a 10GB row. A transaction is not needed for reading a BLOB in order to video play it. And the shared read lock on the row is no different than a shared file lock on a video file on a cooked file system in order to prevent the file from being deleted by one process while being played by another.

BLOBs do not consume more space just because. Default block size is 8KB. Response time is as fast as accessing a video file by path and filename from a cooked file system - if not faster when using raw striped disks via Oracle ASM.

It comes down to optimal and effective I/O. Which the mature Oracle database technology excels at. And that the typical Java developer know nothing of, based on my two decades of experience dealing with Java developers.

The Oracle database has nothing to prove in that it is capable of storing and serving BLOBs effectively and efficiently.

You however needs to proof that this is not the case if you want to dispute it.

• kazyskiyn0w

Does anyone else have positive experience in storing videos without using a relational database that can share a real implementation, and not just a speech without having been implemented in a company? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

• Tim Blackman-Oracle
    Tim Blackman-Oracle Posts: 134 Employee
    Answer ✓

Oracle NoSQL Database provides a Large Object interface that is intended to be used to read and write large objects such as audio or video data.

See: https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/other-databases/nosql-database/21.1/java-api/oracle/kv/lob/package-summary.html

kazyskiyn0w