• 3,817,316 Users
  • 2,259,310 Discussions
  • 7,893,745 Comments

Discussions

custom authentication

Angelo DBfix
Angelo DBfix Member Posts: 3 Green Ribbon

Hello there,

I am not an expert and this is the first time I write so I apologise in advance if I use the form in the wrong way.

I am trying to setup a custom authentication;

user1 should login and see page 10

user2 should login and see page 20

in many article I found on the internet they mention  wwv_flow_custom_auth_std.login

how should I use it? is it a package?

Also, I found on Apex API the package APEX_CUSTOM_AUTH should I use this one instead?

A link of some would be very useful for me.

Thanks,

Angelo

Tagged:

Best Answers

• fac586
    fac586 Senior Technical Architect Member Posts: 20,838 Red Diamond

Please update your forum profile with a recognisable username instead of "User_X5KWK".

That is not authentication.

• Authentication validates the identity of the user.
    • Authorization determines the operations that a user with that identity can perform.
    • Access control restricts the data that those operations can be performed on.

Your question may relate to authorization, or it might simply involve a business logic condition.

Why do "user1" and "user2" see different pages after login? Is this determined by roles and privileges granted to the user?

Can "user1" ever access page 20? Can "user2" access page 10?

What happens for "user3", "user4" and "user259"?

• fac586

in many article I found on the internet they mention  wwv_flow_custom_auth_std.login

wwv_flow_custom_auth_std is an undocumented package. wwv_flow_custom_auth_std.login is an undocumented procedure.

Undocumented APEX APIs are unsupported and subject to removal or change without notice. They are used at your own risk.

Also, I found on Apex API the package APEX_CUSTOM_AUTH should I use this one instead?

Given a requirement to implement a custom authentication scheme, the documented apex_custom_auth package should be used.

However at this point there is no indication that you actually have a custom authentication requirement.

Angelo DBfix
  • Angelo DBfix
    Answer ✓

Hello all,

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

I found the answer.

I added branches into the home page that redirect to the page I want for that particular user/login

Thanks,

Angelo

Answers

• fac586

Please update your forum profile with a recognisable username instead of "User_X5KWK".

That is not authentication.

• Authentication validates the identity of the user.
    • Authorization determines the operations that a user with that identity can perform.
    • Access control restricts the data that those operations can be performed on.

Your question may relate to authorization, or it might simply involve a business logic condition.

Why do "user1" and "user2" see different pages after login? Is this determined by roles and privileges granted to the user?

Can "user1" ever access page 20? Can "user2" access page 10?

What happens for "user3", "user4" and "user259"?

• fac586

in many article I found on the internet they mention  wwv_flow_custom_auth_std.login

wwv_flow_custom_auth_std is an undocumented package. wwv_flow_custom_auth_std.login is an undocumented procedure.

Undocumented APEX APIs are unsupported and subject to removal or change without notice. They are used at your own risk.

Given a requirement to implement a custom authentication scheme, the documented apex_custom_auth package should be used.

However at this point there is no indication that you actually have a custom authentication requirement.

Angelo DBfix
  • Angelo DBfix

Hello,

Ok I will try to explain better

user1 is member of the group "Doctors"

user2 is member of the group "Control Prescriptions"

user1 should see after the login a page with 2 buttons ( "new prescription" and "view my prescriptions")

user2 should see after the login a different page with a list of all the prescriptions saved by all doctors that can be selected and view one by one.

As I said before, on the internet you can see the custom login procedure/function wwv_flow_custom_auth_std.login

or

https://digvijaysinhvirpura.blogspot.com/2021/03/custom-authentication-in-oracle-apex.html

Recently I have found out that there is a package for that available in apex called APEX_CUSTOM_AUTH 

what should I use and how (more or less)

Thanks,

Angelo

• Angelo DBfix

Hello,

Ok I will try to explain better

user1 is member of the group "Doctors"

user2 is member of the group "Control Prescriptions"

user1 should see after the login a page with 2 buttons ( "new prescription" and "view my prescriptions")

user2 should see after the login a different page with a list of all the prescriptions saved by all doctors that can be selected and view one by one.

As I said before, on the internet you can see the custom login procedure/function wwv_flow_custom_auth_std.login

or

https://digvijaysinhvirpura.blogspot.com/2021/03/custom-authentication-in-oracle-apex.html

Recently I have found out that there is a package for that available in apex called APEX_CUSTOM_AUTH 

what should I use and how (more or less)

Thanks,

Angelo

• Angelo DBfix
    Answer ✓

Hello all,

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

I found the answer.

I added branches into the home page that redirect to the page I want for that particular user/login

Thanks,

Angelo