Forum Stats

• 3,815,999 Users
  • 2,259,128 Discussions
  • 7,893,360 Comments

Discussions

Login once, then display limited "public" app pages

User_0G4UD
User_0G4UD Member Posts: 1 Green Ribbon

Hi, I'm interested in building a very simple app to capture a few basic pieces of information as applicants come in to participate in a job fair. This is not where their confidential information will be stored, they will still have a paper application.

We have some iPad kiosks that we can use for this. What I would like to do is:

1. Log in once to Apex on each kiosk and have it stay logged in for the duration of the event (a few hours)
  2. Display a "Welcome" page with a "tap here to register" button
  3. The button will open to a single page form capturing a few bits of information with a submit button
  4. The submit button will write the record to the database and go back to the welcome page
  5. If the registration page is abandoned without hitting submit, it will time out and return to the welcome page

I just want to hide the ability for a user to log out the app, and have the app rotate through those few screens without logging out. So I think my challenges are, keep the app from logging out, and build a limited interface where the applicant can only interact with the welcome and register pages. I could add an admin login button with password to close out the app when finished. I appreciate any suggestions. This would be a first Apex app for us.

Best Answer

• InoL
    InoL Member Posts: 9,802 Gold Crown
    Answer ✓

So I think my challenges are, keep the app from logging out, and build a limited interface where the applicant can only interact with the welcome and register pages.

I don't see too many challenges here actually.

Limiting the duration is controlled by application parameters "Maximum Session Length in Seconds" and "Maximum Session Idle Time in Seconds".

Going back to the welcome page after submit is an After Processing branch.

If the registration page is abandoned without hitting submit, it will time out and return to the welcome page

That is a bit more tricky. You need some JavaScript for that, but there are plenty of examples on how to do that. E.g.:

Inactivity timeout javascript · GitHub

(I just googled for it, I don't know if that is a good example or not)

All in all it's not that complicated. Years ago we created an iPad kiosk application to sell last-minute travel insurance at the airport. The iPad had additional kiosk software installed to turn the apex website into a real kiosk style app (no browser window or navigation, no option to run other apps etc.).

I don't know anything about Apple, but Chrome has a built in kiosk mode:

Here's How Easy it is to Set Up Chrome Kiosk Mode (appsadmins.com)

Answers

• InoL
    InoL Member Posts: 9,802 Gold Crown
    Answer ✓

So I think my challenges are, keep the app from logging out, and build a limited interface where the applicant can only interact with the welcome and register pages.

I don't see too many challenges here actually.

Limiting the duration is controlled by application parameters "Maximum Session Length in Seconds" and "Maximum Session Idle Time in Seconds".

Going back to the welcome page after submit is an After Processing branch.

If the registration page is abandoned without hitting submit, it will time out and return to the welcome page

That is a bit more tricky. You need some JavaScript for that, but there are plenty of examples on how to do that. E.g.:

Inactivity timeout javascript · GitHub

(I just googled for it, I don't know if that is a good example or not)

All in all it's not that complicated. Years ago we created an iPad kiosk application to sell last-minute travel insurance at the airport. The iPad had additional kiosk software installed to turn the apex website into a real kiosk style app (no browser window or navigation, no option to run other apps etc.).

I don't know anything about Apple, but Chrome has a built in kiosk mode:

Here's How Easy it is to Set Up Chrome Kiosk Mode (appsadmins.com)