• 3,781,048 Users
  • 2,254,472 Discussions
  • 7,879,543 Comments

Discussions

MySQL 8 and Solaris 11.4, x86

Answers

• User_91Z99
    User_91Z99 Member Posts: 9 Red Ribbon

What are you trying to say? How does this statement relate to the topic being discussed, namely MySQL 8 support being axed for Solaris on x86-64? Are you trying to justify the decision? Most would not see x86 going away anytime in the lifetime of anyone posting in here, whose architecture, by the way, permits a memory limit of 2^64.

Steffen Moser
  • User_K0YY5
    User_K0YY5 Member Posts: 8 Green Ribbon

MySQL 8.0.27 for Solaris 11.4 x86_64 is now available as an early testing package. The daemon mysqld works and I was able to initialize the database and login with mysql client.

For now the package it is good enough for testing, and testing is needed! Any volunteers out thre?

Next steps on the packaging side will be:

* split into separate IPS pkgs as for mysql 5.7

* add tags for IPS mediator mysql

* provide a SMF manifest

* add initial config file and supporting directory structure

* add Solaris role and mysql user-id

* documentation to assist in very first steps with MySQL 8.0.27 on Solaris (database init, user-password, SMF instance ...)

At the moment I don't think that I'll make a mysql-8.0.27-solaris11-x86_64.pkg.gz available, unless there is a demand for it. I believe people could make better use of a Online IPS repo or use a stanalone IPS p5i package.

Thomas

Steffen MoserAndrew Watkins
  • YTC#1 - Bruce D Porter
    YTC#1 - Bruce D Porter Member Posts: 104 Red Ribbon

I should have time in a couple of weeks, my requirement is for use with Nextcloud, so I could run up a new one (ahh, the joy of zones) and try the package there.

User_K0YY5
  • Andrew Watkins
    Andrew Watkins Member Posts: 186 Bronze Badge

MySQL 8.0.27 for Solaris 11.4 x86_64 is now available as an early testing package. The daemon mysqld works and I was able to initialize the database and login with mysql client.

Available from where?

Thanks

User_K0YY5
  • User_K0YY5
    edited Nov 3, 2021 5:55PM

Note: The package https://sfe.opencsw.org/localhosts12/info/0/database%2Fmysql-80%408.0.27%2C5.11-0.11.4.0.0.1.15.0%3A20211102T200201Z is not yet split into doc / test / lib and so on, therefore the size is a little bit big :)

The supporting stuff is not yet there, so you need a bit good mysql knowledge to get the mysqld daemon happy and run. Later update to the package will make it very similar to what the old version 5.7 is, including IPS mediators.

e.g.

mkdir /var/lib/mysql-files                                                      

chown mysql:mysql /var/lib/mysql-files

chmod 700 /var/lib/mysql-files

mkdir -p /var/mysql/8.0/data

chown -R mysql:mysql /var/mysql/8.0

chmod 700 /var/mysql/8.0/data

#maybe add a config file

mkdir -p /etc/mysql/8.0/

touch /etc/mysql/8.0/my.cnf

then run it:

/usr/mysql/8.0/bin/mysqld --initialize --user=mysql. &  #(write down the temporary root password!)

/usr/mysql/8.0/bin/mysql mysql -u root -p -

• YTC#1 - Bruce D Porter

Ok, I don't have a "bit good mysql" knowledge, so may well wait until the later updates.

Also, I am want to be able to migrate from 5.7 to 8, not initialise a new DB.

User_K0YY5
  • Steffen Moser
    Steffen Moser Member Posts: 134 Bronze Badge

I've just successfully tried upgrading from Oracle's version (5.7.35) to Thomas' version (8.0.27) on a test zone running Solaris 11.4 SRU 38 (x86-64). It worked well. I had to…

* …clone the SMF scripts,

* …copy my /etc/mysql/5.7 to /etc/mysql/8.0,

* …comment out these three lines which seem to be default now:

innodb_file_format = Barracuda
    innodb_file_per_table = 1
    innodb_large_prefix

* …copy my DB files from /var/mysql/5.7 to /var/mysql/8.0 and set the according ownership.

Currently, I am testing my web apps (Nextcloud, Moodle, Mahara, and so on).

Kind regards

Steffen

User_K0YY5
  • User_K0YY5
    edited Nov 6, 2021 11:20AM

For those waiting on MySQL 8 for OmniOS, Solaris 11.3 and OpenIndiana.

Currently I'm working on the mysql 8.0 package for Solaris 11.4 to have the same layout and fine-tuning then the OS provided mysql 5.7. That is a bunch of work to do and will take a few days. Once this is done, I'll start compiling packages for the other OS Version. I'll keep you posted here and on the blog of the SFE project: https://sfe.opencsw.org.

Thomas

• YTC#1 - Bruce D Porter

A quick Saturday morning test, and failed with the following.

---8<

[ 2021 Nov 6 11:44:24 Executing start method ("/lib/svc/method/mysql_80 start"). ]

+ /usr/mysql/8.0/bin/mysqld --initialize '--user=mysql' '--datadir=/var/mysql/8.0/data' '--log-error=/var/mysql/8.0/data/ytc-halls-nc.err'

ld.so.1: mysqld: fatal: libstdc++.so.6: version 'GLIBCXX_3.4.29' not found (required by file /usr/mysql/8.0/bin/mysqld)

ld.so.1: mysqld: fatal: /usr/mysql/8.0/bin/mysqld: mismatched ELF symbol versioning

/lib/svc/method/mysql_80: line 52: 6438: Killed

ld.so.1: my_print_defaults: fatal: libstdc++.so.6: t foundversion 'GLIBCXX_3.4.29' no (required by file /usr/mysql/8.0/bin/my_print_defaults)

ld.so.1: my_print_defaults: fatal: /usr/mysql/8.0/bin/my_print_defaults: mismatched ELF symbol versioning

ld.so.1: my_print_defaults: fatal: libstdc++.so.6: version 'GLIBCXX_3.4.29' not found (required by file /usr/mysql/8.0/bin/my_print_defaults)

ld.so.1: my_print_defaults: fatal: /usr/mysql/8.0/bin/my_print_defaults: mismatched ELF symbol versioning

ld.so.1: my_print_defaults: fatal: libstdc++.so.6: version 'GLIBCXX_3.4.29' not found (required by file /usr/mysql/8.0/bin/my_print_defaults)

/usr/mysql/8.0/bin/mysqld_safe: line 199: 6566 Killed                 env MYSQLD_PARENT_PID=6449 nohup /usr/mysql/8.0/bin/mysqld --defaults-file=/etc/mysql/8.0/my.cnf --basedir=/usr/mysql/8.0 --datadir=/var/mysql/8.0/data --plugin-dir=/usr/mysql/8.0/lib/amd64/plugin --log-error=ytc-halls-nc.err --pid-file=/var/mysql/8.0/data/ytc-halls-nc.pid < /dev/null >> /var/mysql/8.0/data/ytc-halls-nc.err 2>&1

Failed to start service MySQL

[ 2021 Nov 6 11:44:25 Method "start" exited with status 0. ]

[ 2021 Nov 6 11:44:25 Stopping because all processes in service exited. ]

[ 2021 Nov 6 11:44:25 Executing stop method (:kill). ]

---8<

I'm guessing that I need some more packages from SFE? A search of the repo does not give me much clue to which one(s) are missing.

This is a zone, whch I have just added the SFE publisher to

---8<

PUBLISHER                  TYPE    STATUS P LOCATION

solaris       (syspub)    origin  online T <system-repository>

localhosts12                origin   online F https://sfe.opencsw.org/localhosts12/

---8<

• Steffen Moser
    Steffen Moser Member Posts: 134 Bronze Badge

I've installed "sfe/developer/gcc-11", but most probably "sfe/system/library/gcc-11-runtime" should suffice.

User_K0YY5