Forum Stats

• 3,758,102 Users
  • 2,251,328 Discussions
  • 7,870,030 Comments

Discussions

Oracle server software, data and OS s/ware - placement on which disk?

Paulie
Paulie Member Posts: 1,416 Silver Badge

Hi all,

I'm about to invest in a super-duper machine - 64GB of RAM, with 1 SATA (SSD) bay and 2 NVMe SSD slots. I plan to make the machine dual-boot (Red Hat Linux (preferred) and Windows 2019 Server).

So, I have choices here:

For a database, I'm assuming (since **many** db issues are data I/O problems) that the tables/indexes &c. will go on one of the NVMe drives.

But, what I'm wondering is where to place the OS and the Oracle server s/ware? Would I be better off putting the OS on the SATA drive and the db s/ware on the NVMe drive - or vice versa? Or would I be better off putting both on the NVMe drive and keeping the SATA drive for archives and other stuff?

Any references, URLs, guidance & advice gratefully received!

Pól...

Answers

• JohnWatson2
    JohnWatson2 Member Posts: 4,315 Silver Crown

"dual-boot" is very twentieth century. Why wouldn't you use VMs? I usually install VirtualBox, works well on Windows or Linux hosts.

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,457 Gold Crown

I agree with John. It sounds like this is your personal machine, not a business server. Install just the one OS you want to work with every day. On that, install Virtual Box, then use that to create whatever VM's you need.

KayK
  • Paulie
    Paulie Member Posts: 1,416 Silver Badge

That's not what I want - I want to run on bare metal - at least for the moment.

My question really centres around where I would best place my different pieces of software to minimise disk contention?

i.e. once the OS is loaded, does it require much I/O? If not, it can sit on the SATA disk! Are the OS files read much? What about the Oracle server s/ware? Is it read (hardly written to...) much - reading of disk will block writers from progressing. Am I better off, for example, putting the OS and Oracle s/ware on the SATA disk and the data on one of the NVMe disks and the undo and redo on the other NVMe disk?

I'm talking on average - say an app is mostly OLTP with some OLAP - say 40% writes/60% reads?

What factors would impact on this decision? Are there any URLs, texts, whatever that go into this in detail?

Rgs,

Pól...

• Billy Verreynne
    Billy Verreynne Software Engineer Member Posts: 28,570 Red Diamond

I would only install Linux. O/s & s/w on SATA with db files on NVMe. I would also consider partitioning the NVMe drives, using ASM for raw device access (ASM disk = NVMe partition), and assigning one of the partitions as swap space for the o/s.

ASM provides significant storage management flexibility, and direct async I/O to an ASM (raw) disk is faster than writing data via a kernel fs driver to a cooked file system.

Or install Windows and Steam on the SATA drive and use the NVMe disks as Steam game libraries.

• user9540031
    user9540031 Member Posts: 113 Silver Badge

I/Os performed by the OS for its own purposes will be negligible compared to I/Os performed on behalf of application loads—unless, of course, the system is misconfigured and paging kick in...

Same goes for the Oracle software, so placing the Oracle homes on the SATA disk together with the OS seems adequate.

If you're into this kind of self-teaching activities, I'd also suggest keeping a copy of Systems Performance, by Brendan Gregg, near at hand...

Regards,

• hookeaudiocom
    hookeaudiocom Member Posts: 2 Green Ribbon
    edited Sep 10, 2021 2:43AM

Oracle server software, data and OS s/ware - placement on which disk? What should the format of the hardware/software be? Should other hardware or software be added to improve performance or availability? What? Why? How much will it cost?

For: @hookeaudiocom