Forum Stats

• 3,760,452 Users
  • 2,251,709 Discussions
  • 7,871,130 Comments

Discussions

Datafiles are outside the Oracle_Base

Hi, Oracle community,

Is there any impact on the normal function of the database when/if the datafiles are outside the $ORACLE_BASE. This is due to the fact that I had a space constraint on the directories holding the ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_BASE ,

Kindly advise

Tagged:

Best Answers

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,491 Gold Crown
    Accepted Answer

None at all. In fact, I think it is preferable for the data files to be outside of the $ORACLE_BASE. It doesn't matter for performance, but it does for administration. I (and many others) go a step further, and put the data files on a separate mount point so that they are not only logicaly outside of the $ORACLE_BASE. The problem you faced is one of the primary reasons to do exactly that.

On a *nix system, I put $ORACLE_BASE on /u01, and the data files either under ASM or under /u02.

Consider if you were using ASM. Then the data files would very much be outside of the installation directories.

User_2B4H5
  • saratpvv
    saratpvv Member Posts: 905 Gold Badge
    Accepted Answer

Its a best practice to keep datafile outside the ORACLE_BASE.

Answers

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,491 Gold Crown
    Accepted Answer

None at all. In fact, I think it is preferable for the data files to be outside of the $ORACLE_BASE. It doesn't matter for performance, but it does for administration. I (and many others) go a step further, and put the data files on a separate mount point so that they are not only logicaly outside of the $ORACLE_BASE. The problem you faced is one of the primary reasons to do exactly that.

On a *nix system, I put $ORACLE_BASE on /u01, and the data files either under ASM or under /u02.

Consider if you were using ASM. Then the data files would very much be outside of the installation directories.

User_2B4H5
  • saratpvv
    saratpvv Member Posts: 905 Gold Badge
    Accepted Answer

Its a best practice to keep datafile outside the ORACLE_BASE.