• 3,760,441 Users
  • 2,251,707 Discussions
  • 7,871,127 Comments

Discussions

Version 21.3.0 now available - please try it out and let us know your feedback

Christian.Shay -Oracle
Christian.Shay -Oracle Posts: 1,938 Employee

Hi Everyone,

I am very happy 😍to announce that today we released Oracle Developer Tools for VS Code version 21.3.0. Please try it out and let us know what you think.

In this release, we fixed a lot of bugs that were reported in this forum. Thank you for your help making the prooduct better and please keep the feedback coming!

New features in 21.3.0:

• Create and manage Oracle Autonomous Databases (ADBs) using the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Explorer tree control. Create, start, stop, and terminate ADB instances. Automatically download credentials files and create a database connection. Change the compartment or region, modify the administrator password and view the Service Console.
  • Autocomplete/Intellisense setting to select whether to use uppercase or lowercase
  • Results window data grid paging control to page through rows instead of a vertical scroll bar
  • Oracle Database Explorer context menu to download PL/SQL files into a specific directory or into the folder that is currently open
  • Opening stored procedures, functions or packages in a database via Oracle Database Explorer no longer saves the PL/SQL to a temporary file. Use the new download context menu or the Visual Studio Code menu Save As->Show Local if you wish to save the PL/SQL to a file.

A few tips about this release:

I am looking forward to hearing your feedback to help make this product better. Please add your comment below or start a new thread. 

Answers

• User_V8XR4
    User_V8XR4 Member Posts: 3 Green Ribbon

This update feels like three steps backward.

Unfortunately, the command "Save to Database" is not accessible anymore. Neither via the Command Palette, Context Menu, or a shortcut.

For now, the only way to edit a package is to download and execute it with "Execute All". 

• User_6BTKC
    User_6BTKC Member Posts: 28 Green Ribbon

I wanted to elaborate on the issue V8XR4 is seeing. I don't think the option to save to the DB is gone. But it does seem like something has changed with how things are saved to the database? Maybe this needs to be clarified in the documentation. When opening things in the object explorer I see two options, download or open in the database:

If I use open it seems like saving (ctrl+s) directly tries to save the object to the DB. Where as previously there was an option I believe ctrl+d or something like that which would save to the DB while ctrl+s would save to my machine. I actually use autosave in vs code and it seems like if I open in the database, the normal auto save

appears to be pushing to the DB each few seconds. Where as if i download then it only saves to my local. Is this a new thing? Is there maybe a setting to control it? I can't help but think this isn't going to play nicely with autosave.

• User_6BTKC

Yea to confirm the above. If you "open" an object saving it saves it back to the database. If you download an object you then need to execute it to save it to the database. A little weird but workable. It works more like SQL developer where a save is a compile when editing a package or procedure. @USER-V8XR4

• User_V8XR4
    User_V8XR4 Member Posts: 3 Green Ribbon

Thanks @User_6BTKC for the help.

As you mentioned, saving an opened DB object works quite fine. My mistake was expecting feedback if the save goes through without any problems, as I saved a valid package. If I try it with an invalid package, I get feedback.

IMO this could be clarified in the docs, and maybe also to mention, that if there are no problems/errors that there is no re

• User_6BTKC

Yea the docs mention this change but I'm not sure how I feel about it. You're right there's no success message like there used to be simply the tab goes to saved and if there's no errors it doesn't turn red. I have access to certain live DB's and I'm not sure what to make of it. I like autosave for my other languages, but I can't be compiling a package every 500ms in live DB's.

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    edited Sep 13, 2021 10:17PM

Hi everyone,

The relevant changes in this release are:

1) The Edit menu on database explorer was changed to Open to reflect the fact that some people have privileges to open but not edit. The Open menu item acts the same as the old Edit menu item. But in our implementation of the editor we are no longer creating temporary files.

2) We added a Download menu item on database explorer. Our change to not use temp files means that if you want to save a local file, you need to use either this new Download menu item or go to the VS Code menu and choose Save As and then click the Show Local button

3) We renamed the Save to database menu item in the editor to just Save. The Save menu item is supposed to behave like the Save to database menu item. You can still save locally by going to the VS Code menu and choose Save As and then click the Show local button.

4) We only notify you if Save gives an error. Not for successes. However you can still see the success message if you open the VS Code Output pane.

Aside from the confusion about these changes it sounds like there may be a more serious issue.

Are you all saying that by renaming the menu to save we are now being autosaved where before with Save to database we were not? Is that the only issue related to these changes?

• user8498319
    user8498319 Member Posts: 1 Green Ribbon

Does anyone have the Extension working on Ubuntu Linux?

~/Oracle$ dotnet --version

VS-Code:

Version: 1.60.0

Commit: e7d7e9a9348e6a8cc8c03f877d39cb72e5dfb1ff

Date: 2021-09-01T10:43:02.136Z

Electron: 13.1.8

Chrome: 91.0.4472.164

Node.js: 14.16.0

V8: 9.1.269.39-electron.0

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    edited Sep 15, 2021 11:16PM

I haven't tried it recently. What happened when you tried? Please let us know any errors you saw.

You will need to have .NET Core runtime 3.1 installed (5.0 or 2.1 will also work):

• Mike Zinner-Oracle
    Mike Zinner-Oracle Member Posts: 1 Employee

Hi everyone,

I was trying out the Extension on Windows 10 21H1, VSCode 1.60.1 and was really impressed with the nice OCI integration. Everything was working fine directly after installing the Extension.

After a restart of VSCode I now run into the following error when extending an OCI profile entry which prevents me from using the Extension.

"Unable to get details for profile 'DEFAULT'. OCI error: Headers is not defined"

Since the Extension was working just fine directly after install, I tried removing the Extension, restart VSCode and re-installing it. But this did not fix the issue. What could I do to fix or debug the issue?

Thanks,

Mike

• User_6BTKC

Yes, if the user has autosave turned on, opening an object in the database will autosave and compile to the database each interval.