Forum Stats

• 3,769,813 Users
  • 2,253,023 Discussions
  • 7,875,213 Comments

Discussions

Reg: Standby side archives

Hi experts,

IN satndby side archives are not getting deleting by it's own.

getting below error:

In standby side: Recovery catalog not finding the database.

Connected to target database:-

p7d1c2 (DBID=91207645, not open)

Connected to recovery catalog database.

RMAN-00571:---------------------------

RMAN-00569 : Error message stack follows:------------------

RMAN -00571 :--------------------

RMAN-03002: Failure of delete command at 10/08/2021 10:15:44

RMAN -06004 Oracle error from recovery catalog database :

RMAN -20001: target database not found in recovery catalog.

Answers

• chandra_1986
    chandra_1986 Member Posts: 285 Blue Ribbon

Also standby side is not in open state, it's in mount state.

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,531 Gold Crown

What did you discover when you googled 'RMAN -20001: target database not found in recovery catalog'

Use sqlplus to connect to the catalog database as the catalog owner, and issue

select name, 
          db_key,
          dbid
    from rc_database
    order by name;

• chandra_1986

thanks EdStevens.

There are is table with rc_database found in primary side and standby side both.

• saratpvv
    saratpvv Member Posts: 907 Gold Badge

is there any error triggering after giving resync catalog;

Also at what command you are seeing this error?

• EdStevens

There are is table with rc_database found in primary side and standby side both.

What do you mean "found in primary side and standby side both"?

rc_database is a view within the recovery catalog. It lists all of the databases that are registered in the catalog. Your error "RMAN -20001: target database not found in recovery catalog" means that the 'target database' (whichever one that is) is not registered in the catalog, so would not be listed in RC_DATABASE.

So I see a few possibilities.

1) you misunderstand the meaning of 'target database'. Unfortunately, oracle's terminology here is a bit mis-leading. Most of us tend to think of 'target' as synonomous with 'destination'. But that is not how oracle uses the term in relation to rman.

2) you have multiple rman catalog databases (bad idea) and you are connecting to the wrong one.

• chandra_1986

Hi Experts,

I run the query on both primary and standby side below are the results, run as sqlplus / as sysdba>

[email protected]> select * from rc_database;

select * from rc_database

ERROR at line 1:

ORA-01219: database or pluggable database not open: queries allowed on fixed

tables or views only

[email protected]:SQL> select * from rc_database;

select * from rc_database

ERROR at line 1:

ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

• JohnWatson2
    JohnWatson2 Member Posts: 4,328 Silver Crown
    edited Oct 22, 2021 6:39AM

The rc_% views exist in your catalogue database, not in the target database.

It looks to me as though you haven't registered the db_unique_name of your standby. Did you do that, with the CONFIGURE DB_UNIQUE_NAME command? What does LIST DB_UNIQUE_NAME ALL tell you?

• EdStevens

I run the query on both primary and standby side below are the results, run as sqlplus / as sysdba>

As I said previously, "Use sqlplus to connect to the catalog database as the catalog owner, and issue"

And in my follow-up from there, I explained that you should only have one catalog database, not one for each node, not one for each application database. The rman catalog is an application schema, fundamentally no different than any other application schema - just that 'rman' is the application that uses it. It should reside in a database of its own. It should not reside in a database that it is helping to protect, else a disaster would lose both the business schema and the catalog schema.