Forum Stats

  • 3,783,007 Users
  • 2,254,719 Discussions
  • 7,880,242 Comments

Discussions

Sharing a model

Hi,

We have had a lot of trouble with the GIT versioning (missing files, unable to resolve conflicts from the GUI etc) and we have decided to use a shared file system for the model.

I presume everything in one file is a better approach? is there any way to lock the model while editing etc? In general, any tips and tricks around a shared file system.

(SVN is not an option - but it has worked well for us in the past).

Best Answer

  • Philip Stoyanov-Oracle
    Philip Stoyanov-Oracle Member Posts: 3,370 Employee
    Accepted Answer

    Data Modeler is not designed to work on shared file system - easy can get into problems.

    We have had a lot of trouble with the GIT versioning (missing files, unable to resolve conflicts from the GUI etc)

    It's better to provided details about problems in order to get them fixed.

    I presume everything in one file is a better approach?

    No

    Philip

Answers

  • Philip Stoyanov-Oracle
    Philip Stoyanov-Oracle Member Posts: 3,370 Employee
    Accepted Answer

    Data Modeler is not designed to work on shared file system - easy can get into problems.

    We have had a lot of trouble with the GIT versioning (missing files, unable to resolve conflicts from the GUI etc)

    It's better to provided details about problems in order to get them fixed.

    I presume everything in one file is a better approach?

    No

    Philip

  • kohlin
    kohlin Member Posts: 35 Blue Ribbon

    Apologies for not replying sooner.

    We are a small team, so we are using a shared file system and good comms, and it's working out well for us, but I can see how we could quickly get into trouble, so we have a regular automated backup of the shared folder.

    We had numerous issues with GIT (Bitbucket hosted), which we never had with the SVN version. The most significant problems were with conflicts. Sometimes the process worked as you would expect, but more often than not, there was no option to resolve the conflict with the GUI (pending changes didn't show any options), and we ended up manually merging the XML files (command line).  We ended up spending more time merging than modelling and switched to the shared file system.

    I will try the process again in the new year, and keep the logs, maybe that will help identify the issue (which may be us).