Forum Stats

• 3,824,841 Users
  • 2,260,429 Discussions
  • 7,896,325 Comments

Discussions

Oracle Form 6i With Oracle Database 19c

MWaseem
MWaseem Member Posts: 200 Blue Ribbon

We have some some running in oracle forms 6i. We have recently upgraded database from 11g to 19c.

How, we can connect oracle forms 6i to Oracle Database 19c.

Sir @Michael Ferrante-Oracle Could u Please guide in this regard.

Answers

• cormaco
    cormaco Member Posts: 1,939 Silver Crown

If you cannot upgrade your Forms modules, then you can try your luck using theSQLNET.ALLOWED_LOGON_VERSION_SERVER parameter:

However I have never used this parameter myself, so I cannot advise you on its correct use.

• Michael Ferrante-Oracle
    Michael Ferrante-Oracle Senior Principal Product Manager USMember Posts: 7,194 Employee

It's time to upgrade your 20+ year old version of Forms to a new version. If you want to use a new DB, a new OS, or a new anything, you need to upgrade. Trying to use old and obsolete software versions against or on top of modern versions of its dependencies is extremely risky and something I would not do with production data. I especially would not do it with mission critical applications.

Michael Ferrante

Senior Principal Product Manager

Oracle

Twitter: @OracleFormsPM

• Nasser_almawali
    Nasser_almawali Member Posts: 4 Blue Ribbon

Finally I made Developer6i with patch 9 working just fine with OracleXE21c. So here what I have done and hope it will work with everyone

on fresh installation

1) Install oracleXE-21c (I Installed it on Windows 10-64 bit)

2) Install Developer6i and you can install patch 19 or lower (I installed patch 9)

3) configure tnsnames.ora in Developer6i (C:\Developer6i\NET80\ADMIN\tnsnames.ora) as same as on tnsnames.ora in OracleXE(C:\oracle\product\21c\homes\OraDB21Home1\network\admin\tnsnames.ora)

4) connect to database AS SYSDBA and run the following commands

SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE;

STARTUP MOUNT;

ALTER SYSTEM ENABLE RESTRICTED SESSION;

ALTER SYSTEM SET JOB_QUEUE_PROCESSES=0;

ALTER SYSTEM SET AQ_TM_PROCESSES=0;

ALTER DATABASE OPEN;

ALTER DATABASE CHARACTER SET INTERNAL_USE UTF8;

SHUTDOWN;

STARTUP RESTRICT;

SHUTDOWN;

STARTUP;

5) Make changes on sqlnet.ora which belong to the database (C:\oracle\product\21c\homes\OraDB21Home1\network\admin\sqlnet.ora) and add the following

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES=(NTS)

NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH=(TNSNAMES, EZCONNECT)

SQLNET.ALLOWED_LOGON_VERSION=8

6) on sqlnet.ora which belong to Developer6i (C:\Developer6i\NET80\ADMIN\SQLNET.ORA) add the following

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)

NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, EZCONNECT)

Important Note: if you import data from backup then once completed you may need to alter user account again to make Forms Builder able to connect with OracleXE 21c. Hint: I was trying many times to connect after done all settings above and it was failing stating ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied so I alter user

alter USER HR IDENTIFIED BY HR ACCOUNT UNLOCK;

Hope this work with everyone who is looking for solution

let me know your feedback

Wish everyone good luck

• Michael Ferrante-Oracle
    Michael Ferrante-Oracle Senior Principal Product Manager USMember Posts: 7,194 Employee

Regardless of whether or not this appears it can be made to work, I would strongly discourage attempting to do something like this in a business environment. Further, the idea of continuing to use 20+ year old software in a business is extremely risky, especially when that software is handling company, customer, and possibly employee data (some of which is often sensitive).

Michael Ferrante

Senior Principal Product Manager

Oracle

Twitter: @OracleFormsPM

• Nasser_almawali
    Nasser_almawali Member Posts: 4 Blue Ribbon

Yes I agree dear

but most likely people develop light weight systems using such as Developer6i tool as front end. it's powerful and light. it depends weather you running the system online or internal in small or mid size companies.