• 3,771,062 Users
  • 2,253,216 Discussions
  • 7,875,729 Comments

Discussions

Maximum of concurrent users ?

Nic Pilot
Nic Pilot Member Posts: 14 Green Ribbon

Hi,

I'm thinking a building a public Apex app.

The number of concurrent users will be eventually high.

Very hard to estimate, but I would say around 1000 users at the same time.

Most users will only run one page with a card region (with scroll pagination) and the query will be tuned to be as efficient as possible.

Let's imagine that the query will be fast.

Can APEX handle such load ? 

Is it only a matter of CPU & Memory ?

If yes, what is the maximum number of concurrent users that a simple APEX App can handle, per CPU ?

Is there any other sort of limitation ?

With Thanks & Regards

Best Answer

• InoL
    InoL Member Posts: 9,354 Gold Crown
    Accepted Answer

See the answer to your other question too.

APEX can scale however big you need it to be. It is part of the Oracle database, which, of course, is very scalable . Similarly, you can use load balancing on the web server side. I'm no expert there, but there is plenty info on the subject.

Having said that: 1000 users that hit the database every second, or 1000 users that hit the database every hour is a huge difference. It really depends on the use of your application.

Answers

• InoL
    Accepted Answer

See the answer to your other question too.

APEX can scale however big you need it to be. It is part of the Oracle database, which, of course, is very scalable . Similarly, you can use load balancing on the web server side. I'm no expert there, but there is plenty info on the subject.

Having said that: 1000 users that hit the database every second, or 1000 users that hit the database every hour is a huge difference. It really depends on the use of your application.

• Sylvain Martel
    Sylvain Martel Member Posts: 743 Silver Trophy

Hello Nic,

Another element to remember is that APEX doesn't consume a database connection until you refresh or submit a page. So you can have a million users looking at an APEX screen with no database connection.

Many large organizations are using APEX including Oracle for applications like AskTom, Oracle Store and many many many other examples. So don't worry about scaling, technology is there with load balancing for WebLogic and RAC for database, and probably other means that I don't know about.

So even a 1000 users submitting a page at the same time is not a problem as long as you have your web listener configured properly.

Hope this helps!

InoL
  • Nic Pilot
    Nic Pilot Member Posts: 14 Green Ribbon

Thanks guys for your answers, that helps.

Concerning the hosting provider for such app, Oracle Cloud APEX Service seems to be a good choice, it seems to scale easily, but I can't image to not have access to my tables, packages etc... with SQL Developer.

SQL Developer Web is not yet workable...

• InoL

You can easily connect SQLDeveloper desktop to your Oracle Cloud database, but that is not an APEX topic.