Forum Stats

• 3,826,658 Users
  • 2,260,686 Discussions
  • 7,897,044 Comments

Discussions

Tutorial: Where can I access a tutorial or formal training on the Oracle SQL Data Modeler?

I'm new to this tool, although I understand the basics of Data Modeling. I don't need half a course talking about the benefits and concepts of Data Base Design in general.

I want to learn specifics on the most current release (or near current) of Oracle's SQL Data Modeler.

Answers

• User_651W9
    User_651W9 Member Posts: 3 Red Ribbon

I'd be interested in such a thing as well.

I bought the book "Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler for Database Design Mastery". But this book rather describes how to use the tool, once you know exactly what you want.

But since I'm rather new to it, I'd be interested in seeing people how they use it in daily live. E.g. I know, that I can somehow (and that somehow is described in mentioned book) sync my Data Model with a Schema or multiple Schemas, but what are the best practices doing that. I mean, I have a physical Data Model in my Database with Data in it, now I sync it to the Data Modeller, change it and then want to sync it back to my Database. What do I do with my Data in it? What's a good way to do all that?

This is a beginners question, but so far I found the documentation of this tool rather... bad, actually. As of how to use it, I mean.

Don't get me wrong, I see the potential of this tool in my daily work. I started using it, when I develop a model, but once the model is going live I kinda cannot use it. Because I don't know how.

Does anyone has links to tutorials or material that touches appon what I'm describing?

Cheer

Rajesh Manivannan
  • Dave Schleis
    Dave Schleis Member Posts: 225 Silver Badge
    edited Mar 25, 2022 12:31PM

Hello,

WARNING!! Shameless self-promotion ahead:

I have been told that this recorded webinar has been helpful to some:

Hope this helps

--dave

Rajesh Manivannan
  • User_651W9
    User_651W9 Member Posts: 3 Red Ribbon

Dear Dave,

I watched your webinar already. It's very good and helped me a lot actually getting started. But the example given is rather simple. I would like to know, how to use it in day to day work. Best practices and stuff.

BTW: for others: there's also another Video by Dave about the scripting capabilities of Data Modeler. I haven't watched it yet, I confess, but it's on my list

cheers

Pawel