Forum Stats

• 3,827,551 Users
  • 2,260,791 Discussions
  • 7,897,297 Comments

Discussions

Where my APEX application gone in Oracle Cloud ?

I sign up for Oracle Cloud Free Trial. I choose the free APEX with Free autonomous DB. I created two APEX application, and logged to one of them two days ago. Today I got an email "Your Free Trial grace period has expired". That's ok as I doesn't use the payable options, and I wanted to focus on "Always Free" version as Oracle advertise it. Well, my bad... the applications gone, the apex workspace gone, and the DB gone. The only sign there were something is when I open Dashboard => Autonomus Database => Autonomus Data Warehouse, but when I click it, I can see empty page with message "Error retrieving values". Doesn anyone know if I can export the application I build... ?

Best Answer

• L. Fernigrini
    L. Fernigrini Data Engineer Sr Consultant Member Posts: 3,842 Silver Crown
    Answer ✓

You can use an ATP instance (that includes APEX) or an APEX instance (that is like a reduced ATP that not allow external access to the DB and some other limitations I do not remember), both of them are Always Free (I have used some of them for months). For Always Free, an ATP may be better since you have less restrictions and both of them are free.

Seems like you created it from a Stack from the quick start section on the OCI main page:

If that was the case (never used it) there may be something different that made your instance get excluded from Always Free (maybe you increased OCPU / Storage, I do not know!) and Oracle may have purged it at the end of the free period (or end of $$$)

Next time, create the instance from the Autonomous Database menu (choose either APEX or ATP) and ensure you comply with Always Free limitations.

Sorry that I cannot help more!!!

Answers

• Mike Kutz
    Mike Kutz Member Posts: 6,195 Silver Crown

I don't think APEX comes with ADW Free Tier, only ATP Free Tier.

I've been using APEX on ATP Free Tier for 2yr now.

• Dominik Jasek
    Dominik Jasek Member Posts: 8 Blue Ribbon

I'm sure with 90% I pick the autonomous database version directly from the APEX creator. Is there other way I can confirm I did it right and it's not DataWarehous DB ?

• Mike Kutz

Your screenshot says "Autonomous Data Warehouse".

I've always chosen ATP (not APEX).

under "Tools", should be a link for APEX.

IIRC, You'll sign in ( Workspace = INTERNAL ) with your ADMIN account and create a workspace.

• Dominik Jasek

As far I see ADW has flag "Always Free Eligable" so it should stay... But as said I'm 90% sure I didn't create it from the ADW. What's more, the entry I showed in the first screen shot, is not available anymore. I found other thing which shows I install it, but when I click "APEX Login" I got 404. I assume it has been gone forever...

• Mike Kutz

It sounds like only the Compute Node running ORDS went bye-bye.

If you can login into your database directly, you might be able to extract the applications with SQLcl.

• L. Fernigrini
    Answer ✓

You can use an ATP instance (that includes APEX) or an APEX instance (that is like a reduced ATP that not allow external access to the DB and some other limitations I do not remember), both of them are Always Free (I have used some of them for months). For Always Free, an ATP may be better since you have less restrictions and both of them are free.

Seems like you created it from a Stack from the quick start section on the OCI main page:

If that was the case (never used it) there may be something different that made your instance get excluded from Always Free (maybe you increased OCPU / Storage, I do not know!) and Oracle may have purged it at the end of the free period (or end of $$$)

Next time, create the instance from the Autonomous Database menu (choose either APEX or ATP) and ensure you comply with Always Free limitations.

Sorry that I cannot help more!!!

• Mike Kutz

Oracle may have purged it at the end of the free period

Well, they'll definitely purge it if he doesn't use it for a few days.

• L. Fernigrini

ADB (Autonomous Databases) on Always Free accounts are shut down after 1 week with no usage, and they get terminated 3 months after that. The user mentioned that he log in two days ago (so that should count as activity) so if the Database or Service he created was terminated it was because the 30 days period ended and the Database / Instance was not inside the limits of Always Free servicies

• Mike Kutz

7 days? 150 days? Who's counting? 🤣

It sounds like the OP needs to extract what he can and start from scratch.

Having a Free Tier Object Store may be required. (expdp of data schemas)

• Dominik Jasek
    edited Jan 22, 2022 2:51PM

Yes, I created it from the quick start, not directly through the database. The thing is I didn't increase anything (CPU, memory, etc.) I choose the "Always Free Eligable". I saw, that the free credits I got, has been reduced a little bit 20-50$ dollars, but I was thinking it's because I have unlocked trial version, they charge everything even free. I assume base on what you said, I must chose something which was outside the "Free" zone.

Well, then is my fault.. but I thought Oracle is smart enough to notify you in advance, that you have had something which will be purged, so to give you a chance to do a backup or time to export at least...

Thanks guys for all replies. I learned a lesson.

Message for posterity: Wait till the end of the trial period, before you start developing stuff.. for you own safety.