• 3,851,696 Users
  • 2,264,013 Discussions
  • 7,904,820 Comments

Discussions

Oracle Cloud Always Free Autonomous Database with Apex keeps shutting down

RadoD
RadoD Member Posts: 30 Blue Ribbon

Hi,

My trial period of Oracle Cloud Autonomous Database with Apex has ended and the always free resource - DB and Apex keeps turning itself off even if in use.

Even if manually started, it shuts down within 10 minutes.

I created a simple Apex app, multiple tables, jobs, email services (now disabled as trial is over) and several web services to create a POC, however it shuts itself off unexpectedly even if e.g. working with Apex developer, running the Apex app or firing up the web services through Postman.

So now I am confused, is it free or not, where are the logs showing if there is a problem with my code, DBMS_JOBs or something that would cause the DB to shutdown ?

Cheers,

Rado

Answers

• jariola
    jariola Member Posts: 10,848 Gold Crown
    edited Jan 27, 2022 8:11AM

It seems your database isn't created as "Always Free" resource. You have chosen something else when provisioning the database on trial period.

Paid resources aren't converted to free ones when trial period ends.

You can continue use resources that are "Always Free" when trial period ends.

• RadoD
    edited Jan 27, 2022 8:28AM

Hmm, I could swear I used the top left option in Get Started page - "Deploy a low-code app on Autonomous Database using APEX" which did have "Always free eligible" tag on that. Ah, well, re-create and import then :-)

• jariola

At least from screenshot I can't see database is "Always Free". There should be label sayng it next to database name.

I don't now remember, can you clone paid DB to free one. Most probably not, just in case check if that possible.

RadoD
  • RadoD
    edited Jan 27, 2022 8:44AM

So, created the new one - Free for sure,

• created new Workspace and signed in to INTERNAL as admin to see if it works - success ,
    • logged out and wanted to
    • log in as a developer into newly created Workspace - got services unavailable HTTP 503

got back to Oracle Cloud to see the newly created instance and it has stopped after few minutes ofter it was startedf s

• jariola

I assume you created DB correctly as "Always Free", because you can't create other than "Always Free" resources if trial period is ended and you have not upgrade to paid account.

I think it's best ask why DB is stopped even it's used in Oracle Cloud forum

https://community.oracle.com/customerconnect/categories/oci-autonomous-trx-processing

• Mike Kutz
    Mike Kutz Member Posts: 6,199 Silver Crown

I've never used that APX one. I've always used ATP. (The middle one)

I've been running mine on ATP Free Tier for 2 years.

• RadoD
    edited Jan 27, 2022 11:27AM

Well in my case the ATP does not show as Always Free although I am positive that at the time I was creating it (in 12/2021) it did have that tag "Always Free".

After the initial glitch - where I had to manually start the newly created APX, it is now running for 2 hours, will transfer the ATP tables/data/app into this one and will see what happens.

And thank you guys for taking time to answer !

• jariola

Well in my case the ATP does not show as Always Free although I am positive that at the time I was creating it (in 12/2021) it did have that tag "Always Free".

There is posibility that you created DB as "Always Free", but then upgraded it to paid during trial period.

• Mike Kutz
    Mike Kutz Member Posts: 6,199 Silver Crown

Just for reference, here is how I create my APEX instance: (yes, I'm using my 2x Always Free ADBs. Prod & Dev)

• User_0KV5E
    User_0KV5E Member Posts: 1 Green Ribbon

My apex was that way. The problem: I didn't have upgraded the account. Only upgrade and restart the autonomous database. Done! Worked to me.