• 3,826,356 Users
  • 2,260,635 Discussions
  • 7,896,916 Comments

Discussions

Weblogic and RCU requirements in new forms 12.2.1.4 installation

juliojgs
juliojgs Member Posts: 596 Bronze Badge

Hi,

I'm upgrading forms & reports from 11.1.2.1 to 12.2.1.4 and have got some questions about my developer installation. Hope someone can help.

While IT is preparing both a development 19c database linux server and a weblogic 12.2.1.4 linux server, I'm starting setting up my development desktop windows 10.

First I tried the forms builder standalone, but as it doesn't include reports builder, I uninstalled and now will try to go with the standard installation.

I see weblogic (local weblogic) is a prerrequisite. In the weblogic download page there are quite some options for 12.2.1.4: generic, slim, quick installer, infrastructure, another generic (with ADR?) ... which one should I install?

Also, there is the RCU database requirement. Do I have to install it local or I can use the 19c database that IT is installing in a development linux server?

Do I need a full database instance only for my development desktop environment? or is it an schema in the database?

one schema per developer or one for all the developer team?

Another bonus question: During the forms builder standalone installation I got a warning about some MS Visual C++ software requirement. I ignored it , as it asks for version 11 and I happen to have 12 already installed, but I'm not sure if this is a good idea or if I should install that version 11.

Thanks.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Michael Ferrante-Oracle
    Michael Ferrante-Oracle Senior Principal Product Manager USMember Posts: 7,199 Employee
    Answer ✓

For lightweight usage, there is no reason to not have Forms and Reports in the same domain.

Regarding the repo DB, it needs to be available in order to start/stop servers or make configuration changes. It is also required if using SSO when running applications in this environment. There are numerous other features that rely on repo, but those are key. That said, an idle Oracle DB Standard v19 instance shouldn't consume much resources by today's standards. If you are running a machine/laptop with at least 12G RAM (total) and are not running too many other apps, there should be no reason to not just leave the DB running. If you are trying to run these enterprise-class servers on a machine with 8G or less, it might be time to invest in a new machine. Trying to use an under-powered machine will leave you disappointed and tend to blame the software for poor performance when really the issue is the machine you are using.

Michael Ferrante

Senior Principal Product Manager

Oracle

Twitter: @OracleFormsPM

Answers

Michael Ferrante-Oracle Senior Principal Product Manager USMember Posts: 7,199 Employee

If you have never performed the installation, I strongly recommend you read the documentation before starting. This will not only get you familiar with the process, but it will also provide you with the pre-req information needed before you get started.

For example, if you had read the System Requirements guide you would have read about what software must be installed before you install Forms and Reports.

You can find links to most of the needed documentation on the Forms product page. However, I'll make it easier for you. You should review these in the order I've listed them. I am not suggesting you read these as though you will be tested on them, but at least skim through them and pay attention to the areas that clearly impact you.

Supported System Configurations (Cert Matrix)

https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/fmw-122140-certmatrix-5763476.xlsx

System Requirements

https://docs.oracle.com/en/middleware/fusion-middleware/12.2.1.4/sysrs

Release Notes, FMW Infra Installation Guide, and Forms Installation Guide all here:

https://docs.oracle.com/en/middleware/developer-tools/forms/12.2.1.4/index.html

As for some of your other questions:

o Yes, as suggested by the Installer "Standalone Form Builder" only includes Forms tools. And more specifically, it only includes the tools. There are no runtime components either. So if you want to run directly from the Builder, you can, but some creativity in configuration will be needed.

o The Fusion Middleware Infrastructure repository is required for each WLS domain created. You will need sysdba privileges to install/config the repo schemas. The repo consists of as many as 8 schemas. Exactly how many you will need will depend on what you plan to do or use. Personally, I recommend installing all. Adding them later and configuring the domain to use them after already creating the domain is a bit awkward.

o The repository is technically supported in a variety of configurations and databases. However, for Forms/Reports you need to use an Oracle DB (Standard or EE). It must be version 12.2.0.4 or newer. It makes no difference where the DB (and the repo) is located as long as the Fusion Middleware Infrastructure (WLS) can access it.

o Regarding the MS VC Runtime libraries, there are several versions required. Having more than one version installed is not a problem. However, be sure to install the 64bit version of them. Similar to the repo schemas, exactly which you will need will depend on what you plan to do or use in the installation. For most people, it's best to install these: 2010 (VC++ 10.0) SP1, 2012 (VC++ 11.0), 2013 (VC++ 12.0)

o The basic installation process will go something like this:

• Install prerequisites.
    • Configure prerequisites (memory, disk space, network settings, user permissions, etc)
    • Prepare the database (ensure it's the correction version and characterset and you have sysdba)
    • Install 64bit Java 8 (JDK) 8u321 (you can use as old as u151, but not recommended)
    • Install Fusion Middleware Infrastructure 12.2.1.4
    • Install Forms and Reports 12.2.1.4
    • Run Repository Creation Utility
    • Run Configuration Wizard
    • Start WLS Node Manager, Admin Server, and WLS_FORMS (and WLS_REPORTS if using it). This step completes the configuration. Note that if you do not properly start these servers you may need to recreate the domain. On Windows, the servers must be started in an elevated shell. This is not the same as being an Administrator. Refer to the documentation.

Michael Ferrante

Oracle

• juliojgs

Thanks.

About the RCU database, as it can be anywhere, I think we will use one in the linux development server.

If we are three developers with windows desktop ... is it needed one database instance per developer or we can share the database?

You can share the database, but as I mentioned, if you plan to create a domain on your machine then RCU will need to be run again and your domain will have its own set of schemas.

In my opinion, if I were a developer I would want the complete install on my machine. Doing so allows the developer to have full control of what they are doing. And, since the DB used to host the repo can also be used to store the application data, again the developer will have full control of the environment without interfering with others. Similar is true in the other direction. The developer will not need to stop working because the DBA decides that the shared DB needs to go down for maintenance or because the physical server is having issues or whatever.

Since the "Internet Developer Suite" license provides entitlements for all the software needed to do development (including the DB), no additional licensing will be needed, assuming you are using the properly licensing already.

https://docs.oracle.com/en/middleware/fusion-middleware/fmwlc

Michael Ferrante

Oracle

• juliojgs

Thanks. Installation is now complete.

Now I have to install the database for the RCU in my desktop.

Any suggestion about which one to download and install? (I'm not planning to use it regularly, as developers share our runtime env and database)

one of those pre-built developer virtual machines?

or directly the database for windows? 19c or 21c?

Well, I was hoping I could have kept this more simple. If we were migrating reports, I could have done with the forms builder standalone, but I'm afraid I will still need reports builder for some time.

Please read the documentation I shared. It will answer most of your questions.

The latest Oracle Database 19 will be your best choice as it is a "Long Term Support" (LTS) release and it is certified, as documented in the documentation I previously shared, specifically "Supported System Configurations"

Also, if you plan to use Reports too, there are some post domain config steps that need to be accomplished. Complete the steps noted in section 2.4.7.1 found here:

https://docs.oracle.com/middleware/12213/formsandreports/install-fnr/installing-and-configuring-oracle-forms-and-reports1.htm#FRINS-GUID-4BB984E2-52A6-4C62-A735-D160CAC1F653

Michael Ferrante

Oracle

• juliojgs

thanks @Michael Ferrante-Oracle

Two more questions:

1. About this reports post domain config steps, which is "better" ... ¿a new separate domain for reports or update the previous forms domain?
    2. When is the RCU database required to be up? I mean, as my desktop computer is quite limited, after all this installation and domain configuration, can I shut it down? Is it necessary to start weblogic and WLS_FORMS?

Answer ✓

For lightweight usage, there is no reason to not have Forms and Reports in the same domain.

Regarding the repo DB, it needs to be available in order to start/stop servers or make configuration changes. It is also required if using SSO when running applications in this environment. There are numerous other features that rely on repo, but those are key. That said, an idle Oracle DB Standard v19 instance shouldn't consume much resources by today's standards. If you are running a machine/laptop with at least 12G RAM (total) and are not running too many other apps, there should be no reason to not just leave the DB running. If you are trying to run these enterprise-class servers on a machine with 8G or less, it might be time to invest in a new machine. Trying to use an under-powered machine will leave you disappointed and tend to blame the software for poor performance when really the issue is the machine you are using.

Michael Ferrante

Oracle

• juliojgs

Hi,

After completing the installation (took a while configuring reports), every day I have to start:

1. database
    2. nodemanage
    3. weblogic adminserver
    4. WLS_FORMS
    5. WLS_REPORTS
    6. ohs1

Correct?

I created desktop shortcuts for this.

Do yo know a way to start ohs1 without asking for the weblogic password? (the other sevices do it with a boot.properties file)