• 3,873,336 Users
  • 2,266,535 Discussions
  • 7,911,512 Comments

Discussions

Unexpected Navigation Menu Behavior

ioliver71
ioliver71 Member Posts: 6 Blue Ribbon
edited Mar 28, 2022 1:54PM in APEX Discussions

Hi community. A apreciate if somebody know how to solve a specificy behavior over my apex application. 

Creating new pages that are accessed by entries in the left navigation bar (navbar), clicking a certain entry ("Contratos" at image A), start loading to the correct page.

However the releated parent entry in the navbar is collapsed and another unrelated entry in the navbar is expanded, showing its sublevels (image B). The correct page is loaded, but another navigation bar entry is expanded ("Balcão" at image B). This is the unexpected behavior (at least not programmed by me).

What do I need to load the page and keep the navigation unchanged, or showing related menu entry? (image C)

Thanks for any help.

Best Answers

• ioliver71
    edited Mar 17, 2022 12:52PM Answer ✓

Yes, you are right. I'm using, and learning about, the Navigation Menu.

Below the Current List Entry settings:

"Balcão": 7, 10, 32, 5, 27, 29, 18

"Gestão MCP": 60

"Contratos": 12

And the List Entries (sequence):

• 10Home
    • 11Dashboard
    • 20Balcão
    • 21...Produtos
    • 22...Balcão de Negociações
    • 23...Histórico Negociações
    • 40Administração
    • 60...Parâmetros
    • 70...Contratos
    • 80...Agentes
    • 90...Usuários
    • 100...Execuções
    • 110...Execuções Finalizadas
    • 120...Produtos
    • 150Gestão MCP (CliqCCEE)
    • 170...Contratos [&CI_ALERT_CTR.]
    • 210...MCP (Bal. Energético)
    • 215...PLD
    • 220...Lastro
    • 230...Resultado (Sumário)
    • 410...MCP
    • 310Performance
    • 350Chat
    • 400Ajuda

Thank you very much for your attention and help.

• fac586
    fac586 Senior Technical Architect Member Posts: 21,444 Red Diamond
    Answer ✓

Is it possible to update (refresh) just an application computation item, without reloading the entire page?

No. Application Computations run at their processing point and cannot be executed on demand.

Using timer or button, for example by a dynamic action.

The application item could be updated by a dynamic action, but doing so to refresh a menu item badge is not a built-in option.

In the photo, I need to update the number 32, every 10 seconds, without reloading the entire page.

How often is that metric going to change? How many users are going to be connected?

• fac586
    Answer ✓

The fequency will be high. This is the core functionality of the application, and this menu item alert that will be necessary action by the user.

If that's the case then it shouldn't be buried in a second level menu item. It should be visible all the time, e.g. in the page header or breadcrumb region.

All users will use it; in this MVP 50 users, but production environment will be thousands.

A 10 second refresh with 50 users will result in an extra 140 000 requests over an 8 hour day. With 1000 users that becomes 2.8 million. Your DBAs will not be happy.

Like isn't possible to refresh a menu item badge, I'll test the solution with a button reloading the page. I think be the best option.

If users are working on the system and continually seeing refreshed pages then that should be sufficient.

ioliver71Veerendra Patil

Answers

• fac586

Note that this is the Navigation Menu, not the Navigation Bar, which is a completely different component.

In the navigation menu list, what are the Current List Entry settings for the "Balcão", "Gestão MCP", and "Contratos" entries? (Post this information as text, not screenshots).

ioliver71
  • ioliver71
    edited Mar 17, 2022 12:52PM Answer ✓

Yes, you are right. I'm using, and learning about, the Navigation Menu.

Below the Current List Entry settings:

"Balcão": 7, 10, 32, 5, 27, 29, 18

"Gestão MCP": 60

"Contratos": 12

And the List Entries (sequence):

• 10Home
    • 11Dashboard
    • 20Balcão
    • 21...Produtos
    • 22...Balcão de Negociações
    • 23...Histórico Negociações
    • 40Administração
    • 60...Parâmetros
    • 70...Contratos
    • 80...Agentes
    • 90...Usuários
    • 100...Execuções
    • 110...Execuções Finalizadas
    • 120...Produtos
    • 150Gestão MCP (CliqCCEE)
    • 170...Contratos [&CI_ALERT_CTR.]
    • 210...MCP (Bal. Energético)
    • 215...PLD
    • 220...Lastro
    • 230...Resultado (Sumário)
    • 410...MCP
    • 310Performance
    • 350Chat
    • 400Ajuda

Thank you very much for your attention and help.

• ioliver71

fac586, I adjust the "Balcão" Current List Entry to correct pages, and now I have desired behavior. Thanks a lot!!!

• ioliver71

Is it possible to update (refresh) just an application computation item, without reloading the entire page?

Using timer or button, for example by a dynamic action. In the photo, I need to update the number 32, every 10 seconds, without reloading the entire page.

• fac586
    Answer ✓

No. Application Computations run at their processing point and cannot be executed on demand.

Using timer or button, for example by a dynamic action.

The application item could be updated by a dynamic action, but doing so to refresh a menu item badge is not a built-in option.

In the photo, I need to update the number 32, every 10 seconds, without reloading the entire page.

How often is that metric going to change? How many users are going to be connected?

• ioliver71

The fequency will be high. This is the core functionality of the application, and this menu item alert that will be necessary action by the user. All users will use it; in this MVP 50 users, but production enviroment will be thousands.

Like isn't possible to refresh a menu item badge, I'll test the solution with a button reloading the page. I think be the best option.

• fac586
    Answer ✓

The fequency will be high. This is the core functionality of the application, and this menu item alert that will be necessary action by the user.

If that's the case then it shouldn't be buried in a second level menu item. It should be visible all the time, e.g. in the page header or breadcrumb region.

All users will use it; in this MVP 50 users, but production environment will be thousands.

A 10 second refresh with 50 users will result in an extra 140 000 requests over an 8 hour day. With 1000 users that becomes 2.8 million. Your DBAs will not be happy.

If users are working on the system and continually seeing refreshed pages then that should be sufficient.

ioliver71Veerendra Patil
  • ioliver71

Yes, it is very important to balance performance with features.

Thank you for your attention and tips.