Forum Stats

• 3,875,161 Users
  • 2,266,812 Discussions
  • 7,912,098 Comments

Discussions

How to launch 12c Reports Builder on Windows 10

Moslem
Moslem Member Posts: 39 Green Ribbon

I would like to know how to launch 12c Reports Builder on Windows 10.

As you can see in the screenshot below, Oracle Reports has been installed on my machine :

However, when starting the WebLogic server and WLS_FORMS then double-clicking on the rwbuilder.exe file (that is located on this path: C:\Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_Home\bin), nothing happens and the file does not open.

After taking a look at the thread on the following link : https://community.oracle.com/tech/developers/discussion/3874809/oracle-12c-report-builder-not-opening , I found out that I needed to start the WLS_REPORTS. In order to do that, this how I proceeded :

I ran this command-line : startManagedWeblogic.cmd WLS_REPORTS

Then, when entering username and password to boot the WebLogic server,

I get this error message: The server name WLS_REPORTS is unknown to the Administrator Server. Check if restart is required.

Any idea how to fix that?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Michael Ferrante-Oracle
    Michael Ferrante-Oracle Senior Principal Product Manager USMember Posts: 7,489 Employee

You have to manually create the Reports Tools Component then use the provided scripts to start the Builder (and others).

Refer to MyOracleSupport Note 2072671.1

You will need to complete the steps outlined in Section 2.4.7.1 here:

https://docs.oracle.com/middleware/12213/formsandreports/install-fnr/installing-and-configuring-oracle-forms-and-reports1.htm#GUID-4BB984E2-52A6-4C62-A735-D160CAC1F653

Michael Ferrante

Senior Principal Product Manager

Oracle

Twitter: @OracleFormsPM

• Moslem

I have actually read the beginning of the "2.4.7 Configuring Reports Using the Configuration Wizard" section (on the link you gave me) :

and I have installed all the needed Report components.

Then, I have started the WLS_REPORTS server. Here is a screenshot :

However, what is weird is that when double-clicking on the rwbuilder.exe file no one of the error messages described in the "2.4.7.1 Creating Reports Tool Components" section shows, and the stuff in the screenshot below shows for almost 4 seconds then immediately disappears :

You see what I mean?

Michael Ferrante-Oracle Senior Principal Product Manager USMember Posts: 7,489 Employee

I don't think you read what I posted.

...then use the provided scripts to start the Builder...

You need to use the scripts to start the Rep Builder in order for the environment to be setup before it starts. If you do not, you will see the behavior you are describing. You cannot double-click on the executable.

In the file system, go to DOMAIN_HOME\reports\bin (noted in 2.4.7.1 as I mentioned). There you will find these startup scripts. Use these to run the Reports components:

• namingservice.bat
    • reports.bat
    • rwbridge.bat
    • rwbuilder.bat <----- REPORTS BUILDER
    • rwclient.bat
    • rwconverter.bat
    • rwdiag.bat
    • rwgenkey.bat
    • rwqmu.bat
    • rwrqm.bat
    • rwrun.bat
    • rwserver.bat

Michael Ferrante

Oracle

• Moslem

It has finally worked! 😎

Tons of thanks as always! 🙂

• Vasanth Kalale
    Vasanth Kalale Member Posts: 9 Blue Ribbon

Hello,

For some of us who don't have access to MyOracleSupport Note 2072671.1, is there a way to make these instructions available so that we can successfully install/learn Oracle Reports Developers.

There are many Reports enthusiasts from the student community hoping to get over this bump.

Thanks in advance

edited Oct 25, 2022 5:35PM

Because Oracle Reports is a deprecated product, it makes little sense to try learning it for the first time. The only realistic exception might be if your employer uses it and you are now tasked with maintaining it. In that case, your employer should have a current Support agreement with Oracle so they can obtain the latest patches and any other updates that may become available in the future. This will also give you access to documents like the one you mentioned.

We are suggesting that previous Oracle Reports users migrate to using Analytics Publisher (aka BI Publisher).

Regarding the note you (@Vasanth Kalale) requested, it basically contains the same information that the public facing doc I mentioned includes.

Michael Ferrante

Oracle

• Vasanth Kalale
    Vasanth Kalale Member Posts: 9 Blue Ribbon

Thanks Michael, your reply makes sense, its better to move on to BI publisher.