Forum Stats

• 3,840,123 Users
  • 2,262,569 Discussions
  • 7,901,154 Comments

Discussions

Suppress echoing of variable substitution

I have SET ECHO OFF in my script, and use PROMPT to label the results and it works great.

I added a variable with DEFINE, and the substitution echoes to the results window. Is there a way to suppress this?

Best Answer

Answers

• Hi,

I just tried this using SQL*Plus and with echo off it also echoes the select statement with "old" and "new" showing the substitution variable. I have not tried it with SQL*Cl to see what they do, but we implemented most of these features to mimic what sqlplus does.

I assume you are trying to omit some sensitive data from the output? I can check with the SQL*Plus team to see if there is a way to achieve your goals if you let me know what your objective is.

• User_CF2IC
    User_CF2IC Member Posts: 10 Green Ribbon

I'm just trying to reduce the number of lines in the results window. SET ECHO OFF helps a lot.

In my example, I just have one substitution variable, but by the time I expand this out, there will be lots of variables and it makes the output really busy and hard to read. A single heading using PROMPT that says in English what the query is doing would be my preference instead of the SQL and all the variable substitutions.

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    Christian.Shay -Oracle Posts: 2,169 Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi,

I did a little research and figured it out..

Just add:

SET VERIFY OFF;

• User_CF2IC
    User_CF2IC Member Posts: 10 Green Ribbon

Brilliant! Thank you so much!!