Forum Stats

• 3,837,242 Users
  • 2,262,242 Discussions
  • 7,900,232 Comments

Discussions

Is Migrate Applications still available in APEX 21.2?

User_EKBQU
User_EKBQU Member Posts: 5 Green Ribbon

Hi. In APEX 20.2 (and earlier) there was support for migrating Oracle Forms to APEX

Getting Started with Application Migration Workshop (oracle.com)

I haven't been able to find a similar feature in the 21.2 documentation, is it still an available feature?

Answers

• Michael Ferrante-Oracle
    Michael Ferrante-Oracle Senior Principal Product Manager USMember Posts: 7,294 Employee
    edited Apr 4, 2022 12:14PM

That feature was removed (desupported) some time ago for a variety of reasons. Further, it mostly was only able to create the UI. What’s the point of moving to another technology if you’re planning to make it look and feel like the old??

That said, why are you trying to move away from Forms? With awesome new features on the way and loads of existing features in the latest version (12.2.1.4), there’s no reason your aging apps need to look old anymore. Upgrade to the latest Forms version today and be ready for the next major release.

Michael Ferrante

Senior Principal Product Manager

Oracle

Twitter: @OracleFormsPM

F.Matz
  • thejoey
    thejoey Member Posts: 1 Green Ribbon

@Michael Ferrante-Oracle what was valuable about the APEX migration tool was the ability to view legacy Forms variables, triggers, and program units neatly organized in a centralized location without having to open the legacy Forms application in a virtual machine. We didn't use the tool to create the UI; we did that manually.

Michael Ferrante-Oracle Senior Principal Product Manager USMember Posts: 7,294 Employee

If you convert Forms modules to XML you can view all the PLSQL and see which trigger it's associated with. Once in XML, you could even write your own tool (in Java or other lang that can parse XML) and extract whatever you want based on the desired criteria. But in the end, most Forms applications have code that just isn't easily portable because they contain "Forms" plsql. This leaves you right where I always mention... in most cases the easiest approach to migrating is to start from scratch. The only thing easily re-usable is plsql in the DB.

Michael Ferrante

Oracle

• User_Q2SZ0
    User_Q2SZ0 Member Posts: 8 Green Ribbon

if customer wants to run form based application in apex environment what are the ways forward

@User_Q2SZ0 Sorry, but your question is unclear. What are you asking? Are you asking how to launch an Oracle Forms application from APEX? If so, simply include a hyperlink to the Forms app from your APEX app. It could be a link the user clicks on or the app launches via JS.

Michael Ferrante

Oracle

• User_Q2SZ0

I am not able to see the Migration project option in Apex 21.2 release , I would like to migrate Oracle 12c forms into Apex , is that possible, could you send steps to do this using Oracle Apex 21.2

edited Jul 1, 2022 12:40PM

If you are looking for the Migration utility that used to exist in APEX, read my earlier comments above.

If you want to convert Forms to anything else you need to start from scratch and create new applications. Why do you want to do that anyway?

Michael Ferrante

Oracle

• User_Q2SZ0

my application which runs in 12c environment has around 300 forms and database migrated to 19c. but forms could not be migrated further , can I keep the same database structure and backend procedures , also how to develop the new apex pages using existing database structure that the reason looking for migration utility which could produce apex pages from oracle forms, is there any link on how to develop apex pages for oracle forms based application

One has nothing to do with the other. You will be create new APEX applications from scratch, even if you use the DB procedures that were previously were used by Forms. If you coded those DB procs correctly, there would be nothing "Forms" specific in them and therefore developing with APEX against them would work as expected.

But I ask the same question, why are you trying to move to APEX rather than making updates to your Forms applications? Most people are not even aware of many of the features and capabilities in Forms and as a result spend lots of time and money moving away when all they really needed to do was spend some time making improvements to what they were already using.

https://www.oracle.com/application-development/technologies/forms/forms.html

If you are not using the latest version of Forms (12.2.1.4) you are missing out on lots of improvements. Many more improvements are planned for coming versions. Sneak peaks of new features being considered can be found on social media like Twitter. @OracleFormsPM #OracleForms

Michael Ferrante

Oracle

• User_Q2SZ0

ok how long  Forms (12.2.1.4) version will be supported and if it is getting Obsolete  then we have to ask the customer to get existing application developed in Apex