• 2,259,212 Discussions
  • 7,893,517 Comments

Discussions

Issue After WebLogic Patch 33727616

Alexis B
Alexis B Member Posts: 45 Red Ribbon
edited Apr 14, 2022 12:08PM in Forms

Hello all,

I had a server with Forms 12.1.2.4 and Java 8u221 installed with some Forms and report 12 applications and all worked well for years

Due to security poilicy, I installed Java 8u311 (JDK and JRE) on my server, then all was OK

But then I installed the last patch 33727616 for Weblogic Server 12.1.2.4 using Documentation :

https://updates.oracle.com/Orion/Services/download?type=readme&aru=24578917

I started to upgrade Opatch from 13.9.4.2.1 to 13.9.4.2.8

And then installed Patch 33727616

And now, when I try to start my WLS_REPORT service, it fails and it stopped WLS_FORMS service

And the HELP command don't show me any additional information

Best regards,

Answers

• Alexis B

Just to add, it is the only patch applied on Weblogic / Forms/report

I tried to restart the server, delete and recreate the services but nothing went well

So, for the moment I rollbacked this patch using "opatch rollback -id 33727616"

And now all works well

But would be good to undesrtand why I cannot start WLS REPORTS when patch 33727616 is applied

Thanks,

Best regards

• Michael Ferrante-Oracle
    Michael Ferrante-Oracle Senior Principal Product Manager USMember Posts: 7,136 Employee

So you read my mind. Here's what I started to type just before you updated:

You first need to determine which change is causing the problem, if any. I would start by rolling Java back to the previous version you were using. If that fixes the issue then you found the problem. If this does not fix the problem then replace the old Java with the newer one. Then rollback the WLS patch. If that fixes the issue then you found the problem. If neither change fixes the issue, rollback both changes. If that fixes the issue then you again found the issue.

If you find that changing the Java version was the root cause, I would recommend using the latest Java version rather than 8u311. The latest is currently 8u321, although the next update should be available very soon. Regardless of whether moving to the latest Java fixes the issue or not, I would plan to continue using the latest and not use the older version.

If it is determined that the patch is causing the issue, likely this is the result of security changes that are incompatible with your configuration, for example is it possible you are using an SSL certificate/wallet that utilizes an obsolete algorithm? With each new Java release older algorithms are being disabled and/or desupported. See details here: https://java.com/en/jre-jdk-cryptoroadmap.html

If none of this information helps to solve the issue, I would encourage you to contact Oracle Support so they can assist with the investigation. By contacting them, if there is an issue with the patch and/or additional information that you needed they will be able to share the technical information with others so they do not have to experience the same problem without guidance.

Michael Ferrante

Senior Principal Product Manager

Oracle

Twitter: @OracleFormsPM

• Alexis B

Hello,

Thanks for your detailled answer

Sorry for the delay, I was off since 14/04/2022 due to Easter Hollidays

Before to contact Oracle Support I tried to install another patch 31960985 using doc Id 2694898.1 to see if the issue comes from Patch 33727616 or if I have the same issue with any patch

And with Patch 31960985 I have exactly the same issue as above, and when I uninstall it, it work well

I found a Document on My Oracle Support (doc ID 2100571.1)

Not sure it is linked with my problem, Do you think it could resolve it ?

I would like to try the solution (amend WL_HOME/server/lib/weblogic.policy file)

But I don't know what is the path to patch jars

Is it the folder containing the patch (e.g. D:\Forms12\Products\Patches\33727616\) ?

Or any sub-folder in <ORACLE_HOME> (e.g D:\Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_Home\) ?

I thought about D:\Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_Home\.patch_storage\

What do you think?

Thanks,

Best regards,

Michael Ferrante-Oracle Senior Principal Product Manager USMember Posts: 7,136 Employee

The note you mentioned (2100571.1) is specifically for WLS 10.3.x and not v12.

The one thing I had not asked was whether you can start the servers directly? Meaning, what happens when you do this (if any of these prompt for username / password provide that information before continuing to the next step):

.1. In an elevated DOS shell start Node Manager like this:

start D:\Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_Home\user_projects\domains\base_domain\bin\startNodeManager

.2. In an elevated DOS shell start Admin Server (WLS) like this:

start D:\Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_Home\user_projects\domains\base_domain\bin\startWebLogic

.3. In an elevated DOS shell start WLS_FORMS like this:

start D:\Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_Home\user_projects\domains\base_domain\bin\startManagedWebLogic.cmd WLS_FORMS

If these work correctly, this implies there is an issue with your Service configuration. Deleting them and recreating them might be a good approach. If the above attempts fail in a similar fashion then you can rule out the possibility that the Service is the cause of the issue. I would recommend troubleshooting directly using the command line startup scripts provided with the install and not use the Services until you resolve the basic issue.

Michael Ferrante

Oracle

• Alexis B

Hello,

startNodeManager seems OK

startWebLogic display some errors but is launched, so it seems OK

However, when I launch startManagedWebLogic.cmd WLS_FORMS, some errors are raised and it is Not started

Please find attached

Hope it can help to know what happened

I use

d:
    cd D:\Forms12\Produit\Patches\33727616\
    D:\Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_Home\OPatch\opatch.bat apply D:\Forms12\Produit\Patches\33727616

To install the patch

And when I uninstall the patch, using

d:
    cd D:\Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_Home\OPatch
    opatch rollback -id 33727616

Then all works well

Best regards,

Given the errors, it looks like you messed up Coherence post install or during install. It is possible the patch caused the problem although unlikely.

You mentioned that you are trying to use the January patch and having these issues. I just test the April patch (released this week) and it seems to work fine. All my servers start as expected after applying the April patch (see MOS Note 2806740.2). By the way, I tested with the SPB (Stack Patch Bundle) rather than using the individual patches.

If this fails in the same manner, I would assume you somehow damaged the domain (as can be seen in the error you shared). You should contact Support, as they may be able to help you fix it rather than re-creating the domain.

Michael Ferrante

Oracle

• Alexis B

Hello,

I tried to install the last April Patch, but I have still the same coherence issue

Will try to find a solution with Support

I will update this topic with the solution, once all will be OK

Thanks for your help !

Best regards,