Forum Stats

• 3,824,920 Users
  • 2,260,440 Discussions
  • 7,896,348 Comments

Discussions

VS Code and Oracle Extension - Results Data Grid

How can you make the Results Grid be in the same tab as the SQL statements?

How can you make the Results Grid be larger? It seems to be a fixed size.

How can you make the Results Grid scroll? I would rather scroll compared to paging.

Best Answer

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    Christian.Shay -Oracle Posts: 2,148 Employee
    edited Apr 30, 2022 6:01PM Answer ✓

Hi and welcome to the forums! Thanks for taking the time to give us feedback and I hope you will stick around!

>How can you make the Results Grid be in the same tab as the SQL statements?

This is currently not possible, but in the next release we hope to make it easier to have both SQL and Results tabs visible at the same time. For now you can do the following:

• In the VS Code menu, select View->Editor Layout->Two Rows.
    • Execute some SQL or PL/SQL
    • Drag the SQL results tab into the lower pane.
    • Any additional SQL executions will continue to be displayed in this tab in the lower pane until it is closed.

>How can you make the Results Grid be larger? It seems to be a fixed size.

You can't resize only the results grid. But if you are having trouble reading it you can temporarily increase and decrease all fonts in VS Code by pressing Ctrl + and Ctrl -

>How can you make the Results Grid scroll? I would rather scroll compared to paging.

I hear you. We used to be scrollable in an older version but we had a lot of issues with the grid control we are using so we had to change it. (You can still see the data in a scrollable format if you right click on a table name in Oracle Database Explorer and select "show data"). As an ugly workaround, I suppose you could create a view based on the query you wish to scroll through and then do a "show data" on the view.

Answers

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    Christian.Shay -Oracle Posts: 2,148 Employee
    edited Apr 30, 2022 6:01PM Answer ✓

Hi and welcome to the forums! Thanks for taking the time to give us feedback and I hope you will stick around!

>How can you make the Results Grid be in the same tab as the SQL statements?

This is currently not possible, but in the next release we hope to make it easier to have both SQL and Results tabs visible at the same time. For now you can do the following:

• In the VS Code menu, select View->Editor Layout->Two Rows.
    • Execute some SQL or PL/SQL
    • Drag the SQL results tab into the lower pane.
    • Any additional SQL executions will continue to be displayed in this tab in the lower pane until it is closed.

>How can you make the Results Grid be larger? It seems to be a fixed size.

You can't resize only the results grid. But if you are having trouble reading it you can temporarily increase and decrease all fonts in VS Code by pressing Ctrl + and Ctrl -

>How can you make the Results Grid scroll? I would rather scroll compared to paging.

I hear you. We used to be scrollable in an older version but we had a lot of issues with the grid control we are using so we had to change it. (You can still see the data in a scrollable format if you right click on a table name in Oracle Database Explorer and select "show data"). As an ugly workaround, I suppose you could create a view based on the query you wish to scroll through and then do a "show data" on the view.

• User_2BO16
    User_2BO16 Member Posts: 2 Green Ribbon

Thanks. That helps.

I like the VS Code extension. I know it doesn't have all the features of SQL Developer tool. But, I am often in VS Code and prefer to use it if possible.

Once the data grid can scroll... I think I would use this as my preferred SQL editor. Until then, I will just keep checking back for updates.

Again, appreciate the reply and the work that has been done on this extension. Lots of good things.