Forum Stats

• 3,824,762 Users
  • 2,260,415 Discussions
  • 7,896,309 Comments

Discussions

Select row info of a report from a text field.

Ken S.
Ken S. Member Posts: 6 Blue Ribbon

New to Apex 19. Seasoned Forms developer. I am working on a barcode reader for a warehouse project. I have selected from the database several rows using a classic report as output. Now I would like to have an item in a different region to be able to reference item properties in the classic report region using the rownum for reference. This way the operator only needs to enter a number instead of pressing the screen with a gloved hand.

example:

1 Thing a

2 Thing b

Selection: ________

Tagged:

Comments

• Joe Upshaw
    Joe Upshaw Member Posts: 962 Silver Badge

Please register your User ID. These tend to get ignored when the posts are anonymous like this.

I'll try to help but, need more information.

What, exactly, is it that you wish to happen if the user enters a row number? That isn't clear at all. Does it create a barcode for the selected row?

More information =s better answers. 😏

-Joe

• Ken S.

Thanks for the comment Joe. Once the user enters a number (rownum) into the item field I would like to do more processing within the database (basically a submit on entering of the field). The application is for a barcode reader in order to move items within the warehouse. I'm just trying to make it easier for the warehouse tech to select the right line instead of selecting on the screen using his finger.

I am registered through the Oracle Support website. Where else do I need to register?

--Ken

• fac586
    fac586 Senior Technical Architect Member Posts: 20,933 Red Diamond

Once the user enters a number (rownum) into the item field I would like to do more processing within the database (basically a submit on entering of the field).

Enable the Submit when Enter Pressed property on the text item. Implement or call the required processing from a page process—assuming you can relate the submitted row number to the required data...

• Joe Upshaw
    edited May 3, 2022 12:41PM

On this forum, you show up as user8612216. That's an anonymous account. You need to create an account for the forums themselves...this is distinct from your support account.

So, really, the report is just a visual so that the users know know what they are pulling up. Got it.

Based on your response, I think this is the basic, desired processing flow:

1. Report is displayed with row numbers.
    2. User enters a row number and hits enter.
    3. Get PK value(s) *.
    4. Use PK value(s) to invoke some back end processing for the desired row.

* Get PK value(s)...If you are able to link the number entered by the user to the primary key value(s), this is much simpler. You might consider either:

1. Have them enter a PK value rather than a row number
    2. Prepare a determinate query that will always produce the same row number mapped to the same PK.

If neither of these can be done, there are options but, it gets a lot more complicated.

1. Write a PL/SQL process on submit that does what you need and uses the value held in your page item to determine which item is affected; either by direct PK value (Option 1) or by executing a query to find the PK value(s) (Option 2).
    2. Enable the Submit when Enter Pressed property  on the page item control.

Then, when the user types in a value and hits enter, your PL/SQL process will fire.

-Joe

• Ken S.

Thanks Joe for the tips. I think i got it working.

--Ken

• Joe Upshaw

@Ken S.

Mind marking my answer as correct then?

Thanks,

-Joe