• 3,816,609 Users
  • 2,259,213 Discussions
  • 7,893,518 Comments

Discussions

Running Forms 11g App to use Microsoft Edge Browser

Shambo2904
Shambo2904 Member Posts: 113 Blue Ribbon

Hi

We are currently running a 11g forms/reports application using Fusion middleware 11.2 Forms and reports. It has been in use for a number of years and used IE11 to run the forms and reports application using a 32 bit java version which worked fine.

As the customer is still on this version the tech refresh to the latest Fusion middleware (12c) will not happen immediately but a year or so down the line so need to keep the application running until then.

As IE11 is being switched off next month and replaced with Chromium edge as the browser it wont start the application as it did before and just hangs.

What needs to change in the browser or otherwise in order to keep the application running? The temporary solution is to run the application in IE 11 compatibility mode in Microsoft edge browser but I have had to include the URL in the compatibility mode settings which expires every 30 days so this has to be repeated each time when it expires to keep it going which is a pain for the customer . Is there another workaround in order to use the native Edge browser and still keep the java version as before as well as 11g forms and reports until the tech refresh happens to the latest forms and reports and which I am hoping will work in Edge without issues?

Regards

Best Answer

• Michael Ferrante-Oracle
    Michael Ferrante-Oracle Senior Principal Product Manager USMember Posts: 7,136 Employee
    Answer ✓

You need to setup Enterprise mode.

There are a variety of places where you can find the information for setting this up correctly, but I found this one was most helpful for me. It is a bit out of date, but if you use it only as a guide you should be able to figure out the rest.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/manual-how-to-set-up-ie-mode-internet-explorer-integration-in/m-p/774119

Once the machine is properly configured, the config pages you will need are:

edge://compat/sitelistmanager

edge://compat/enterprise

Do not just expect to skip right to the above Edge setting pages and assume things will work. There is a registry change needed and a policy file needs to be created. Refer to the URL above. Contact MS for help setting this up.

Michael Ferrante

Senior Principal Product Manager

Oracle

Twitter: @OracleFormsPM

Answers

Michael Ferrante-Oracle Senior Principal Product Manager USMember Posts: 7,136 Employee

If configured correctly, URLs set in Edge for compatibility mode do not “expire”. You should contact Microsoft if that is actually happening.

Regarding plans to move to v12 “a year or so down the line”, this is a bad idea. Premier Support ends December 2023 and v12 has already been available for nearly 7 years. Upgrading should have been done years ago. I do not recommend waiting much longer.

Michael Ferrante

Oracle

• Shambo2904
    Shambo2904 Member Posts: 113 Blue Ribbon

Hi Michael

Thanks for you comments. Yes I do agree it cant wait much longer but trying to push the customer at the moment,

As regards the settings , the attached picture is what it comes up as default. Can this be set so that the URL doesnt have an expiry date like its showing as default of 30 days?

Regards

Answer ✓

You need to setup Enterprise mode.

There are a variety of places where you can find the information for setting this up correctly, but I found this one was most helpful for me. It is a bit out of date, but if you use it only as a guide you should be able to figure out the rest.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/manual-how-to-set-up-ie-mode-internet-explorer-integration-in/m-p/774119

Once the machine is properly configured, the config pages you will need are:

edge://compat/sitelistmanager

edge://compat/enterprise

Do not just expect to skip right to the above Edge setting pages and assume things will work. There is a registry change needed and a policy file needs to be created. Refer to the URL above. Contact MS for help setting this up.

Michael Ferrante

Oracle