Forum Stats

• 3,824,917 Users
  • 2,260,439 Discussions
  • 7,896,346 Comments

Discussions

Is it possible to store database connections just for current workspace?

Is it possible to store database connections just for current workspace? It would be nice being able to store connection settings as part of the workspace and git repository.

Comments

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    Christian.Shay -Oracle Posts: 2,148 Employee
    edited May 4, 2022 4:43PM

No it is not possible in the current release...

Can you tell me more about the workflow that would make this helpful to you? Do you have tons of databases, each for each workspace? Are you trying to make it easier for other developers who share a workspace with you? Please describe what you want to do in more detail.

• Yevon
    Yevon Member Posts: 109 Blue Ribbon

We usually have one connection for every schema for every instance, so we can choose who can access to at any given time. The idea is having the connection info included within the git repository so we would be able to share that config between developers, and for keeping things more organized. If I'm working in a workspace of a given instance, I don't really need to see tons of connections of other instances.

• Thanks, this is very interesting. I will discuss with the team.

Yevon
  • Ray007
    Ray007 Member Posts: 42 Bronze Badge

Yes. I work on many projects and having a stupid long list of database connections isn't very practical. It would be nice that when I open a specific workspace or folder that I have just the connections relevant to that project listed.

In fact, the easiest might be to add a `oracle.bookmarks` key to the .vscode/settings.json file that would just have the names of the connections "bookmarked" for this project. Then in the Oracle Explorer pane, pull the bookmarked connections up into a "Bookmarked" list that is expanded above the current "DATABASE" list of all my connections. That would allow:

• DB connections are still configured at a single place where my password may be
    • The project can specify which connections are relevant to highlight in the Oracle Explorer pane
    • When I go to Oracle Explorer, I have the best of both worlds (current project connections and all my connections)
    • Bonus: also add a oracle.connections key to .vscode/settings.json that you could commit the connection info so a new developer gets a template for the connections (no password stored here, they need to create/setup the connection themselves into the current place)
  • Christian.Shay -Oracle
    Christian.Shay -Oracle Posts: 2,148 Employee
    edited Jun 3, 2022 1:28AM

Thanks again for both of your feedback. We are trying to add a feature like this (unclear when it will make it into the product).

I may ask you for more feedback in the coming weeks.

Yevon