Forum Stats

• 3,824,920 Users
  • 2,260,440 Discussions
  • 7,896,348 Comments

Discussions

Is there a way to filter out schemas with no objects in the explorer?

In some of our databases we have many schemas that are just users and a few schemas that hold objects. It would be very helpful to be able to only have to see those few schemas that own objects. I almost never need to browse a schema with nothing in it.

Best Answer

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    Christian.Shay -Oracle Posts: 2,148 Employee
    Answer ✓

Can you connect directly to the user that owns the schema? That would make a clean separation - only the schemas you connect to will be displayed.

If not, I take it you make heavy use of the "Other Users" node in Oracle Explorer?

We are working on a Oracle Explorer filter for an upcoming release. This is good feedback. Thanks.

Answers

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    Christian.Shay -Oracle Posts: 2,148 Employee
    Answer ✓

Can you connect directly to the user that owns the schema? That would make a clean separation - only the schemas you connect to will be displayed.

If not, I take it you make heavy use of the "Other Users" node in Oracle Explorer?

We are working on a Oracle Explorer filter for an upcoming release. This is good feedback. Thanks.

• User_MKVLW
    User_MKVLW Member Posts: 4 Blue Ribbon
    edited May 20, 2022 4:21PM

Yes for some databases there is one particular user and we could possibly connect as our own user and use the "Current Schema" option. But for nearly all our databases there are a few (or a few dozen) important schemas that contain objects and hundreds of user accounts that shouldn't ever contain any objects.

So we indeed heavily use the Other Users tab. This works best when we can filter out these users that have no objects. For our use case in fact the Other Users tab is the only part that is useful. But I can understand that maybe most people don't work like this. Most other tools are also heavily biased towards having everything in one schema and logging in or proxying in to that schema.

Any other improvements that reduced noise like hiding categories of object that a user doesn't own would also be very helpful.

Another helpful feature would be able to search or filter by name while browsing the explorer to help navigate schemas that have hundreds of tables.

In any case the VS Code Developer tools are really cool and with a few improvements in the Object explorer I might be able to convince some old dogs to try them out.