Forum Stats

• 3,838,560 Users
  • 2,262,382 Discussions
  • 7,900,688 Comments

Discussions

Jdeveloper Autosuggest/ autocomplete feature

I was writing Java code in JDeveloper ide. I found that it don't have to autocomplete and auto-suggest feature, as we have in Netbeans and other ide's. If there is this functionality, please guide me with the steps.

Thank You.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Timo Hahn
    Timo Hahn Senior Principal Technical Consultant - Oracle ACE Director Member, Moderator Posts: 38,585 Red Diamond
    Answer ✓

This feature is not available. All you can do is too use keyboard shortcut where you your a couple of keys and then expand then to some code.

The ide is too old and was never updated to support this kind of feature.

Timo

Answers

• Timo Hahn
    Timo Hahn Senior Principal Technical Consultant - Oracle ACE Director Member, Moderator Posts: 38,585 Red Diamond

User, tell us your exact JDev version, please!

What exactly do you want to do?

Timo

• version- oracle jdeveloper 12c

I want something like shown in the picture. Here I am getting suggestion, so I want this feature on Jdeveloper.

• Timo Hahn
    Answer ✓

This feature is not available. All you can do is too use keyboard shortcut where you your a couple of keys and then expand then to some code.

The ide is too old and was never updated to support this kind of feature.

Timo

• dvohra21
    dvohra21 Member Posts: 14,618 Gold Crown
    edited Jun 6, 2022 2:39PM

If the question is regarding auto-suggest/auto-complete Java code, Studio edition does support it. Please refer

3.8.2.1 Features Available From the Context Menu

The context menu of the generic source editor provides a set of features. These features include Completion insight which provides a list of possible completions; Parameter insight which provides the types and names of the parameters of the method being typed; and Complete Statement which provides auto-completion of code statements.

Completion Insight

Completion insight provides you with a list of possible completions, such as method names, and parameter types if they are applicable, at the insertion point, which you may use to auto-complete Java code you are editing. This list is generated based on the code context found at the insertion point. The contexts supported by completion insight are:

Within package and import statements

Within extends, implements, and throws clauses

Within continue and break statements

Within general code expressions

Default keyboard shortcut: Ctrl+Space

Parameter Insight

Parameter insight provides you with the types and names of the parameters of the method call you are typing. If the method is overloaded, multiple sets of parameter types and names are listed.

Default keyboard shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+Space

Note:

If errors for the file appear in the Structure window, Code (Completion or Parameter) Insight may not work. If the class(es) you are using are not in your project (that is, not on your classpath), Code Insight will not appear. Please note that you may need to compile your src files in order for Code Insight to have access to them.

Complete Statement

Use to auto-complete code statements where such a completion is obvious to JDeveloper; for example, semi-colon insertions at the end of a statement.

Default keyboard shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+Enter

Expand Template

Insert a code template from a list of JDeveloper's predefined code templates. The code templates offered are context sensitive. For example, templates to declare class variables are only offered when the cursor is in the appropriate place in the class file.

Default keyboard shortcut: Ctrl+Enter

Code Assist

Code Assist examines your code in the editor and provides assistance to fix common problems. A Code Assist icon appears in the editor margin when JDeveloper has a suggestion for a code change. To invoke Code Assist manually, press Ctrl+Alt+Enter. To select an action listed in Code Assist, press Alt+ the underlined key.

Default keyboard shortcut: Ctrl+Alt+Enter

https://docs.oracle.com/middleware/12213/jdev/user-guide/working.htm#OJDUG246