Forum Stats

• 3,824,920 Users
  • 2,260,440 Discussions
  • 7,896,348 Comments

Discussions

Can an Oracle Forms 12c JNLP file be directed to a different database?

User_AKDBV
User_AKDBV Member Posts: 3 Green Ribbon

Hello,

I would like to log in to a database other than the default database my weblogic environment is set up to use. I can log in to the second database using the Database: logon option but am wondering if it's possible to embed that into the JNLP file so it does not need to be entered manually?

Tagged:

Answers

• Rajagopalan-Oracle
    Rajagopalan-Oracle Member Posts: 14 Employee

Is this Database: logon option done in Weblogic ?

According to jnlp which is created using forms URL, it will have the connection of the db which is used by forms in runtime.

Editing jnlp is not recommended for safer side.

Regards,

Rajagopalan H

• User_AKDBV

Yes, the Database: option is part of the logon screen as shown in the attached image:

• Michael Ferrante-Oracle
    Michael Ferrante-Oracle Senior Principal Product Manager USMember Posts: 7,194 Employee

First, this has nothing to do with jnlp.

if you want to set a default Database alias you can add the following environment variable:

On MS Windows servers, set LOCAL. It’s value is the desired alias (e.g. orcl)

On all other server platforms, the variable TWO_TASK would be used. The value is the same concept as for Windows.

Once set, although the Database field will not show a value, the user can just leave it blank and the value set on the server would be used.

Michael Ferrante

Senior Principal Product Manager

Oracle

Twitter: @OracleFormsPM

• User_AKDBV

Thanks for the input. What I am looking for is to see if there is a way to launch forms into a specific database without impacting the default database for the forms environment.

• Michael Ferrante-Oracle
    Michael Ferrante-Oracle Senior Principal Product Manager USMember Posts: 7,194 Employee

There are four supported ways in which you can provide user credentials for the app's database.

1. Use the default logon dialog. Users would be required to enter the appropriate information.
    2. Include the credentials in the server configuration. One disadvantage of this approach is that you are forced to manage user credentials.
    3. Pass the credentials on the URL. Although this will work, it is not a secure approach and should only be done in test environments.
    4. Use Single Signon (Oracle Access Manager)

Any other approach would not be considered "supported". This doesn't mean there may not be other ways to accomplish logon. It just means that it would be up to you to determine what they are and maintain them on your own; meaning Oracle will not fix a claiming bug when the product is used in an unsupported manner, especially if that approach potentially creates a vulnerability.

Michael Ferrante

Senior Principal Product Manager

Oracle

Twitter: @OracleFormsPM