Forum Stats

• 3,837,266 Users
  • 2,262,245 Discussions
  • 7,900,242 Comments

Discussions

22.2 problem with Windows font custom scaling

MajkiiT
MajkiiT Member Posts: 12 Red Ribbon

Hi, I have a problem with fonts in new SQLDev 22.2 in Windows 10 while I have own font scaling turned on (with value 120).

This is how my SQLdev looks like (note that in worksheet is not visible the last letter "s" in *_parameters):

And this is what I mean as custom scaling (with custom scaling value 100 the problem is gone):

Answers

• thatJeffSmith-Oracle
    thatJeffSmith-Oracle Distinguished Product Manager Posts: 8,687 Employee

we recommend you disable ui scaling for sql developer (at the app level)

• User_2DKLA
    User_2DKLA Member Posts: 47 Blue Ribbon

Hi,

Same severe font issues here, right out of the box that is—please see below for a workaround.

Tested configuration:

• Windows 10 Professional (21H2) 64-bit
    • 24'' display, at 1920 x 1200 resolution
    • Custom font scaling set to 125% in Windows—otherwise fonts are too small for my eyes in Explorer windows.

So far the above font settings has worked nicely; in particular, SQL Developer 21.4 looks good enough.

But that changes dramatically with SQL Developer 22.2, as apparently Java 11 makes a lot of changes to the GUI rendering:

1. The GUI is now scaled, which might be fine, but...
    2. Unfortunately, something (very) bad has happened to font rendering.

In the name of comparison, let's put 21.4 (left) and 22.2 (right) side by side:

Can you see how the Reports word now looks a lot like R eports? Same with TEST, which now looks like TES T; something looks wrong here—and that's just the beginning.

Let's move on to SQL worksheets. Again, 21.4 is on the left, 22.2 on the right. This is same query, shot twice in order to demonstrate that the rendering is not even stable: the only thing that changed between the top and bottom screenshots is that I moved the cursor position 3 lines down.

Obviously the scaling has broken font rendering beyond any acceptable measure.

Work-around

The following worked for me:

1) In sqldeveloper.conf (in the sqldeveloper\bin subdirectory):

AddVMOption -Dsun.java2d.uiScale=1.0

2) In %APPDATA%\SQL Developer\system22.2.0.173.2018\o.sqldeveloper\ide.properties

Ide.FontSize.Windows=13

(That was documented by @thatJeffSmith-Oracle in the following post—thanks Jeff!)

Apparently setting the sun.java2d.uiScale VM option to 1.0 disables the scaling. Then the GUI font in menus, preferences, etc. becomes way too small and has to be increased; fortunately, it's not difficult to do so.

At this stage there remain subtle rendering differences, as shown below: text lines do not look as much centered vertically in 22.2 (right) as they used to in 21.4 (left). This is mostly visible in the data grid (bottom), but also in text rendered with a background color, as is visible in the where keyword below.

Menu fonts are also slightly less generous than before in that configuration, but I can live with that, and on the other hand setting the font size to 14 makes them too large for my taste.

My 2 cents...

Regards,

User_S8RXB
  • MajkiiT
    MajkiiT Member Posts: 12 Red Ribbon

This didn't help.

The following worked for me:

1) In sqldeveloper.conf (in the sqldeveloper\bin subdirectory):

AddVMOption -Dsun.java2d.uiScale=1.0

2) In %APPDATA%\SQL Developer\system22.2.0.173.2018\o.sqldeveloper\ide.properties

Ide.FontSize.Windows=13

This helped. Specifically with value Ide.FontSize=13

Thanks!

• User_2DKLA
    User_2DKLA Member Posts: 47 Blue Ribbon

Unfortunately, as shown below that still leaves text elements here and there which remain too small:

• Values in the Enter Bind Values dialog
    • Messages in the Message - Log panel
    • Error messages—arguably the worst in this list, as I do make mistakes frequently enough, and I need those error messages loud and clear

SQL Developer 21.4.3 (left) vs 22.2.0 (right)

Do we have any control over the font size of these elements?

Regards,

• thatJeffSmith-Oracle
    thatJeffSmith-Oracle Distinguished Product Manager Posts: 8,687 Employee

This is an old topic, I'm positive there are helpful solutions in the community forum history. It's also covered extensively here, see top 2 answers

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/50138830/how-to-increase-size-of-gui-font-everything-of-oracle-sql-developer-18-1/50139062#50139062

• User_5QOXF
    User_5QOXF Member Posts: 2 Green Ribbon

I removed scaling and that corrected my problem.

Thank you