Forum Stats

• 3,839,314 Users
  • 2,262,480 Discussions
  • 7,900,930 Comments

Discussions

Direct printing in ORACLE APEX

Faadi
Faadi Member Posts: 54 Blue Ribbon

is there any way to print report directly on printer in ORACLE APEX?

Considering the report is designed and integrated with BI Publisher.

Answers

• InoL
    InoL Member Posts: 9,991 Gold Crown
    edited Jul 1, 2022 2:13AM

I do not know anything about BI Publisher, but I assume it has an option to send the output to a printer. Simply Googling for it:

Configure a Printer in Oracle Analytics Publisher

Browsers cannot send output directly to a printer. There is always some user interaction before sending the output to a printer.

Small print: there is a non-standard way to send some output directly to the printer from a browser. However, it involves hacking the Windows registry (I only know this trick for Windows):

• Create a PDF file with extension .pdfp. Windows doesn't know this extension, so it will create a new registry entry for pdfp.
    • Change the Open behaviour in the registry (find it somewhere in \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE). Instead of opening the file, print it. In my case, I use Sumatra pdf:
    "C:\Users\someuser\AppData\Local\SumatraPDF\SumatraPDF.exe" -print-to-default "%1" %*

Of course, this command will change per configuration.

• TexasApexDeveloper
    TexasApexDeveloper Member Posts: 7,941 Gold Crown

If the print engine was NOT Bi Publisher, I'd recommend Apex Office Print. They have functionality to print to a network printer included with the product. Since this is a Bi Publisher question, you MIGHT get a better response if you posted it to that products support forum..

Thank you!

Tony Miller

White Rock, NM