Forum Stats

• 3,837,260 Users
  • 2,262,244 Discussions
  • 7,900,240 Comments

Discussions

22.2 Error Connecting

kevinUCB
kevinUCB Member Posts: 194 Bronze Badge

I am upgrading from 21.4.3. When I first installed 22.2, everything worked correctly; my imported connections worked.

After shutting down and restarting the application, all connections fail with a dialog

"Error Connecting". "oracle/jdbc/datasource/impl/OracleDataSource",

and a stack trace that begins:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: oracle/jdbc/datasource/impl/OracleDataSource

I have tried this on a workstation running instant client (19.9) as well as thick client (19.3). I am not having any issues continuing to use 21.4.3. The connections are a mixture of basic and TNS connections using both jdbc and OCI.

Best Answer

• kevinUCB
    Answer ✓

After working with support, there are a couple of things that helped fix my issue.

First, 22.2 does require a 21c client. I installed instant client 21.6.

That did not resolve the issue, but is a prerequisite.

To resolve the issue, we had to go into the C:\Users\{username}\AppData (hidden) directory, and clear out the contents of the "sqldeveloper" and "SQL Developer" folders after saving my existing connections (and making a copy of my SQL History folder).

Restarted the application, imported the connections, and everything worked.

On a second machine, where I do not have the ability to install the oracle client, I simply disabled the use of the Oracle Client (19.3) in Tools/Preferences/Database/Advanced, and use the JDBC driver for that instance.

stom

Answers

• thatJeffSmith-Oracle
    thatJeffSmith-Oracle Distinguished Product Manager Posts: 8,687 Employee

You may need a 21c client. But you shouldn't be seeing java error stacks...if you have a My Oracle Support account, please open a Service Request.

• kevinUCB
    Answer ✓

After working with support, there are a couple of things that helped fix my issue.

First, 22.2 does require a 21c client. I installed instant client 21.6.

That did not resolve the issue, but is a prerequisite.

To resolve the issue, we had to go into the C:\Users\{username}\AppData (hidden) directory, and clear out the contents of the "sqldeveloper" and "SQL Developer" folders after saving my existing connections (and making a copy of my SQL History folder).

Restarted the application, imported the connections, and everything worked.

On a second machine, where I do not have the ability to install the oracle client, I simply disabled the use of the Oracle Client (19.3) in Tools/Preferences/Database/Advanced, and use the JDBC driver for that instance.

stom
  • Kasimirtlw
    Kasimirtlw Member Posts: 9 Blue Ribbon

I can confirm I was having the same issues. the day before sql dev worked like a charm . The next day i also got the datasource error. No connection old or new woudl work . the test of the instant client was okee. I tried various things to fix it (change path, enable disable oci thick driver) but in the end I cleared the folders under my user folder for sql developer (both mention here above). left the old version in there to impart it again after restart SQL dev.

That did the trick. After the reimport of the previous version in the new sql dev 22.2 I was able to connect again. Even os connections worked again

stom