• 3,838,255 Users
  • 2,262,346 Discussions
  • 7,900,558 Comments

Discussions

Need suggestion on developing a real time projects in SQL and PL/SQL only

Albert Chao
Albert Chao Member Posts: 196 Red Ribbon

Hi Team,

I apologize for posting a theory question. I wanted to know if someone could give me some idea about the final semester project I need to develop in SQL and PL/SQL only. It can be anything like monitoring a database and identifying vulnerability issues in a database by writing a stored proc which can be called on a daily basis. These are just my thoughts and would be happy to know from you all. Or if we have any website where I can get project ideas that also will help me

Best Answer

• Paulzip
    Paulzip Member Posts: 8,720 Blue Diamond
    edited Jul 14, 2022 12:25PM Answer ✓

Someone I knew on a similar course wrote a simple accounting system. Invoices / credits, invoice / credit items, sales and purchase ledgers, journals, balance sheets, end of period reports (materializing data) etc, etc. They wrote a few packages for doing typical accounting processes and one for simulating accounting transactions - raising invoices, credits, receiving payments etc. I suppose the real time aspect would be simulating a busy accounting firm or business.

They weren't from an accounting background, so it gave them an excellent grounding in accounting concepts and practices, database methodology in modelling those, and impressed their Master's degree referees - they passed with distinction. Incidentally, they are doing very well working in the financial sector, so it paid dividends in career path too.

Answers

• BluShadow
    BluShadow Member, Moderator Posts: 42,122 Red Diamond

What's your course about? Is the focus on "programming" methodology? or "database" methodology? or "user interface design"? or something else. Usually the nature of the course will help to guide what would be a suitable aim for the project.

And which "final semester" are you referring to? School level, University Degree or what? That will determine how technical and how complex the project would be.

There are plenty of "projects" you could design, from a simple hotel booking application to a complex language parser or ordering/stock control etc. or telephone call analsis etc., but it depends on the details of your requirements, which you haven't specified.

• Albert Chao

@BluShadow Thanks for responding to my question.

The course is about MTech computer science engineering (university degree)wherein I have to do a project based on database methodology. Could you please suggest some useful projects that I can take into consideration? I am thinking to develop a code that will do oracle database health checkups like everything is running smoothly in the database or not. It is just an idea. It would be helpful if I get some insights on this

• BluShadow

Ok, so looking up the details of such a course I can see that it covers many different aspects of Computer Science, and you're doing this at a Masters research level. (I looked at the following site as an example of the content, which I assume is close to what you're doing: https://collegedunia.com/courses/master-of-technology-mtech-computer-science-and-engineering)

There's wide scope there to do a project on pretty much anything. Obviously you're interested in the database technologies (otherwise you wouldn't be here), so I'd suggest a couple of things...

a) talk to your supporting tutor and see if they have any suggestions

b) go to your university library and look up past projects from students who did the same course. Most university libraries keep copies of such projects for reference. That could give you an idea of the sort of things that were looked at, and with technology moving so fast, you could use one of those as a basis to start "further" research, i.e. answer some of the unanswered questions, show how things have changed since that project and whether it's for better or not, or what advances have been made etc.

c) I think your initial suggestion of some sort of database monitoring to check for vulnerabilities may not be appropriate, if you consider that Oracle already provides database monitoring, query analysis and suggestions etc. through Enterprise Manager, unless you can research it to show what limitations Oracles own product has and how you can suggest improvements or 'add ons' etc. that would make things better. Perhaps consider some sort of code analysis package instead that can do things to check for consistent coding style, flaws and vulnerabilities in code (i.e. the use of dynamic SQL without bind variables and appropriate datatype checking etc.), redundant code and suchlike.

The options are many...

• Albert Chao

@BluShadow Thanks for providing these details which are very useful to me. However, is there anything that I can think of doing in a database that is of university degree level? I know there are many projects that can be built using database and UI but I am thinking to solve any problem by writing logic in stored proc/functions. Or can I develop a script that will take backup of the entire database by adding some more functionality (suggestion would help here).

• BluShadow

Well, someone else would have to answer that I think. I completed my degree nearly 30 years ago, and I'm sure much has changed in terms of requirements from the universities. As I said, the best person to speak to would be your tutor (when I did my degree, we were each assigned a tutor for our final project and they advised, not just ideas about what projects we could do, but what structure it should take and to what level we needed to take it etc.)

You say "university degree level", but the MTech course you mention is a Masters degree by the looks of it, so that is post-graduate level research to my knowledge i.e. beyond standard BSc degree level.

One thing you could consider is the type of things in IT/Database world that are current in the media. i.e. securing against cyber criminality; or the influence of social media and how databases contribute to the use of social media (spread of information or mis-information) etc. and what can be done to tackle such issues.

The trick is going to be picking something that is relevant to the course (you've been on the course, you should know what topics are covered generally) and something that is sufficient scope, but not too much, to be researched by yourself as one person doing it in the timescales given.

Albert Chao
  • Paulzip
    Paulzip Member Posts: 8,720 Blue Diamond
    edited Jul 14, 2022 12:25PM Answer ✓

Someone I knew on a similar course wrote a simple accounting system. Invoices / credits, invoice / credit items, sales and purchase ledgers, journals, balance sheets, end of period reports (materializing data) etc, etc. They wrote a few packages for doing typical accounting processes and one for simulating accounting transactions - raising invoices, credits, receiving payments etc. I suppose the real time aspect would be simulating a busy accounting firm or business.

They weren't from an accounting background, so it gave them an excellent grounding in accounting concepts and practices, database methodology in modelling those, and impressed their Master's degree referees - they passed with distinction. Incidentally, they are doing very well working in the financial sector, so it paid dividends in career path too.