• 3,875,392 Users
  • 2,266,909 Discussions
  • 7,912,190 Comments

Discussions

And again: Unable to create an instance of the Java Virtual Machine

User_07TC6
User_07TC6 Member Posts: 3 Red Ribbon

Hi,

I try to upgrade to Oracle SQL Developer 22.2 from my 18.3 version. But when I download and unzip the x64 version with JRE included, I only get

Unable to create an instance of the Java Virtual Machine Located at path:

c:\Program Files (x86)\sqldeveloper\sdk\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll

Strange thing is, the file itself is there. It is sitting right there, path is correct, so it is not missing. Now I have googled alot and people from years-old-posts suggest to modify the product .conf. Sadly I don't have that one.

Then I found others stating I have to set AddVMOption -Xmx256M but I don't really have that either. Well, I have it, in the ide.conf but changing it from Xmx800M to 256 did not do the trick either. A bit googling and people talked about having set this option in the ide.conf, sqldeveloper.conf other jdk.conf. When I look into those I find modern entries like Add32VMOption and Add64VMOption instead and now I have no clue what to do. I tried setting all to 256, one after another but absolutely nothing changes.

When I unzip the old 18-version into the folder, it works out-of-the-box. Why can't the 22.3 version be correctly and ready-to-use coinfigured as well. I am no Java expert and not planning to be one. I'm a simple sysadmin with no Oracle experience and just need to set up a tool for my DB admin to use it.

Can anyone help me what I can do to get the 22.2 version working? I am downloading the sqldeveloper-22.2.0.173.2018.zip

Answers

• thatJeffSmith-Oracle
    thatJeffSmith-Oracle Distinguished Product Manager Posts: 8,883 Employee

That's intent, it should be doing exactly as you're saying.

Product.conf isn't under the sqldev/bin folder - it's under Windows, AppData, Roaming Profiles, SQL Developer

Where are you unzipping SQLDev 22.2 to, a fresh, empty directory like

c:\sqldev\22.2 ?

• User_07TC6

Yes that's what I did. I tried several unzips, several folders.

• thatJeffSmith-Oracle

This is going to sound elementary, but try restarting your machine.

• User_07TC6
    edited Jul 15, 2022 8:30AM

Thanks for the advice, I will do so.

It is a RemoteApp server with quite a few apps hosted in a production environment so I will have to do this after production hours. Plus I am facing a one week vacation now.

I will come back and report if it helped, right after my return.

• thatJeffSmith-Oracle

RemoteApp server 

The devil is in the details...when describing a problem, I shouldn't find this out randomly.

• User_DYSX7
    User_DYSX7 Member Posts: 1 Green Ribbon

don't overwrite the directory.

delete or rename the old directory and copy the entire directory to the same location.

it worked for me, regards!

thatJeffSmith-Oracle
  • Andi77
    Andi77 Member Posts: 23 Blue Ribbon

Same here - even if i download the version with included JDK it's failing out of the box. The user experience is really bad.

simply WHY? - it's always pain to update sql developer and nearly always you have to spend hours to get it running. This makes it "no fun" to work with that tool. It does not update if you go on help -> check for update. If you download it on your own - it does not work, too. If you manage to start it, it asks you to import the settings of an older version and then fails again. This is annoying.

• thatJeffSmith-Oracle

If you manage to start it, it asks you to import the settings of an older version and then fails again. This is annoying.

When it asks you, say 'No' - something is corrupted with your settings, not the application. Start with a fresh set of application settings, it should start right up.

• Andi77
    Andi77 Member Posts: 23 Blue Ribbon

I don't agree to that point of view. Why should i have to set the settings again if i just updated the application?

Will it import all server configurations, color codes i set, changes in UI in font / style if i click on "NO"?

I guess not - so why can't the import take the settings of the older version and discards the ones, which it does not understand. And to make it clear - i didn't jump too far. I had 21.x running and wanted to go to 22.2.1.1234.

Finally - i did a backup and imported everything - but this is something the tool could do for the users on update / upgrade. As said by the thread opener - if you, as user, download the "all inclusive zip" - you don't expect a "java ... error" or manipulation of any .conf .xml.. file if you just want to update.

• thatJeffSmith-Oracle

No, but you'll have a clean, working copy of SQL Developer.

THEN, you can start bringing over your connections, etc.

If you copy over everything, you copy over whatever corruption has managed to sneak in.