Forum Stats

• 3,838,564 Users
  • 2,262,383 Discussions
  • 7,900,687 Comments

Discussions

I wanted to know after creating a table using "ADM_DDL.DO_DDL" can we use "sql%rowcount" ?

I wanted to know if there is any way to get the row count immediately after creating a table using "ADM_DDL.DO_DDL" ?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• BEDE
    BEDE Oracle Developer Member Posts: 2,454 Gold Trophy
    Answer ✓

sql%rowcount is a variable in PL/SQL, while create table is DDL, which may be executed in PL/SQL only dynamically, that is via execute immediate. That's why I think this won't work.

Normally, after an insert select or update or delete or merge sql%rowcount shows the number of rows inserted/updated/deleted/merged.

Until now it never crossed my mind to use that after create table because in PL/SQL blocks you seldom create tables.

Answers

• Frank Kulash
    Frank Kulash Member, Moderator Posts: 42,243 Red Diamond

Hi, @User_5U12Z

I wanted to know if there is any way to get the row count immediately after creating a table using "ADM_DDL.DO_DDL" ?

That depends on what adm_ddl.do_ddl does. Where is it documented? What happens when you try it?

SQL%ROWCOUNT returns the number of rows affected by the most recent statement of certain kinds, including CREATE TABLE statements, but it only works for the most recent statement.

• BEDE
    Answer ✓

sql%rowcount is a variable in PL/SQL, while create table is DDL, which may be executed in PL/SQL only dynamically, that is via execute immediate. That's why I think this won't work.

Normally, after an insert select or update or delete or merge sql%rowcount shows the number of rows inserted/updated/deleted/merged.

Until now it never crossed my mind to use that after create table because in PL/SQL blocks you seldom create tables.

• BEDE

Apparently it does work.

I tested like below:

begin
    dbms_output.enable(1000000);
    execute immediate 'create table zzzt as select * from employees';
    dbms_output.put_line('>'||sql%rowcount||'< after create table as select');
    end;

• User_4ZB42
    User_4ZB42 Member Posts: 5 Green Ribbon

Code is perfectly work, You can try once more I am sure it will be work