• 3,837,252 Users
  • 2,262,243 Discussions
  • 7,900,238 Comments

Discussions

IndexPreferencesTask running indefinitely

Flamberg
Flamberg Member Posts: 3 Green Ribbon

Hello there,

I am wondering whether anyone has experienced the following problem and found a solution to it.

I installed version 21.4.3.063.0100.

The application is working fine. But, there is IndexPreferencesTask which keeps running and never finishes (I mean not even after hours or running time). Apparently, this also prevents me from opening Preferences (and changing them).

I also tried to modify the sqldeveloper.conf (in accordance with SQL Developer 20.2 IndexPreferencesTask very slow — oracle-tech). That disabled the task altogether, but now I could not open Preference anyway (the whole application freezes).

Please note that the previous version I had used (20.2.0.175.1842) worked just fine.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Answers

• thatJeffSmith-Oracle
    thatJeffSmith-Oracle Distinguished Product Manager Posts: 8,687 Employee

uncheck and restart sqldev

• Flamberg

Thanks, Jeff.

As the application does not allow me to open its Preferences, is there a way how to set it directly (in sqldeveloper.conf)?

• thatJeffSmith-Oracle

Can you just take your laptop off the network so those drives aren't reachable?

And yes, if you search the forums here there is a startup flag you can set to disable the feature completely.

• Flamberg

I can't disconnect it, because it's not run on a laptop ;-) It's a Citrix server.

The only thing I've found so far was

AddVMOption -DIndexedPreferencesCommand=false

But that did not help. As I mentioned in the original post, it prevents the indexing task from starting. But I can't open Preferences anyway...

• thatJeffSmith-Oracle

I'd open a ticket with your citrix admin

If the indexing isn't running , you should be able to open your preferences

• belokost
    belokost Member Posts: 1 Blue Ribbon
    edited Jul 28, 2022 9:33AM

Hi

I use SQL developer 21.4.2.018. (Windows 64-bit with JDK included)

I installed 22.2.0.173 this week (Windows 64-bit with JDK 11 included).

For version 22.2 I have a problem, IndexPreferencesTask runs for about 4 minutes and 22 seconds.

With version 21.4 it is 22 seconds. During this time, I can open PL SQL objects from RBMS, as well as use the SAVE AS window for the package.

With version 22.2. during indexing it is not possible to work with the Editor at all, it has slow responses and freezes.

I experimented with setting AddVMOption -DindexedPreferencesCommand= false. The start of SQL Developer was fast. But if I opened the package from RBMS and chose the "Save Package spec and body" option, it opened the window for 14 seconds. After returning from the modal window to the SQL editor, the developer did not respond for 4 seconds

• thatJeffSmith-Oracle

It sounds like an impact from moving to Java 11 (from 8)

I dont know if it would help, but you could try setting up Java 17 on your machine to see if that provides relief.