Forum Stats

• 3,873,316 Users
  • 2,266,534 Discussions
  • 7,911,504 Comments

Discussions

Oracle forms giving FRM-42017: Module name must be specified.

User_W4Q9W
User_W4Q9W Member Posts: 28 Green Ribbon

Hi experts

We have installed oracle forms on new infrastructure:

Forms: Application Version 12.2.1

DB: 19c

Weblogic: 12.2.1.4

Linux: SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 15 SP2

We have managed to move our existing forms to this and copied all the configuration files there. When we open forms either through the browser or using FSAL, we get

FRM-42017: Module name must be specified. which shows in a oracle fusion window as a forms error.

All the forms are compiled using above mentioned setup and all the fmx and plx and mmx have been successfully created. All the environment files for all the configuration have been copied over with correct parameters. I haven't done forms for years but have done these for so many years till web versions which used to open in jInitiator. Could any expert (s) here point me what could be the reason please? Is there a way of debugging what is going on, whether the application url is hitting the form mentions in the formsweb.cfg file and the it is failing? Or it is failing before it even hit the form and some parameter or file is incorrect. I am more than happy to share any information if needed.

Thank you so much.

regards,

Rahul

Answers

• Michael Ferrante-Oracle
    Michael Ferrante-Oracle Senior Principal Product Manager USMember Posts: 7,486 Employee

The first part of your problem is the part where you say "...all files... have been copied over...". You cannot simply copy a configuration file into a v12 environment nor can you edit these files in the file system. All files (in v12) must be managed through Fusion Middleware Control as explain in the documentation here:

https://docs.oracle.com/en/middleware/developer-tools/forms/12.2.1.4/working-forms/configuring-and-managing-forms-services.html

The second part of the problem is that you cannot expect old configuration files to be appropriate for a new install and new version. "New" versions are "new" and therefore likely have different requirements and settings, which in this case is true. You need to use the configuration files included in the installation then update them as needed. Replacing the default files with your own from a previous will almost always result in a mess, even if not obvious immediately.

When upgrading, tooling is provided to help address some of the problems associated with the case where you want to retain your previous configurations. But the key is that you have to use the tooling and follow the instructions for upgrading if you expect everything to work.

https://docs.oracle.com/en/middleware/developer-tools/forms/12.2.1.4/install-fnr/upgrading-oracle-forms.html

Michael Ferrante

Senior Principal Product Manager

Oracle

Twitter: @OracleFormsPM

• User_W4Q9W

Hi Michael

First of thanks for looking into the issue, a few points from our side:

1. It is not a upgrade of an environment, it is a installation of everything on a different box.
    2. When I said all the files, I meant formsweb.cfg and forms.conf. Formsweb.cfg is a text file which has configurations and I added our configuration to it. I will use the default one which came with the installation and add our configurations to that. Regarding forms.conf file, I could not find AliasMatch ^/workaroundregistry/(..*) "/---/---/---/forms/html/$1 html folder in our new setup so that path is /---/domains/base_domain/config/fmwconfig/components/FORMS/forms1/server/$1'
    3. registry--> "/--/config/fmwconfig/servers/WLS_FORMS/applications/formsapp_12.2.1/config/$1"

many thanks once again and I will keep this thread updated when I see any changes.

kind regards

Rahul

• User_W4Q9W
    edited Jul 29, 2022 3:07PM

Just revisited all the configurations through the /em and it has a few paths wrong, changed them. Checked them through linux and saved the file, started the forms service again and no difference. Have created a SR with oracle as well and sent them the files at the same time by our DBA and will wait for that now. Any other hints, please?

Inspecting archive files in cache directory C:\Users\LOCAL_~1.SHA\Temp\frmsal\localhost\12.2.1.4

Using cached archive file frmall.jar from cache subdirectory 9kp61rpohiwgzp2692f2nbhyv

Forms Session ID is WLS_FORMS.formsapp.5

The proxy host is null, and the proxy port is 0.

Native HTTP implementation is being used for the connection.

The connection mode is HTTP.

Forms Applet version is 12.2.1.4

FRM-42017: Module name must be specified.

regards

Rahul

Michael Ferrante-Oracle Senior Principal Product Manager USMember Posts: 7,486 Employee

Regardless of whether this was an upgrade or just a move to another box, you cannot copy files from one to another. The Infrastructure will see this as an outside change and roll the changes out or ignore them. When you restart the servers the original files will be put back in place. There are exceptions, but that is the general way in which it works.

For the moment, let's ignore the fact that this environment has likely be damaged. Open a browser and enter this exact URL with the exception of the server name and port:

http://YourServer:YourPort/forms/frmservlet?config=webstart&form=test

If you are prompted to download/save the jnlp file, do so then double click on it once downloaded. Does the "test" form run?

Michael Ferrante

Oracle

• User_W4Q9W

Hi Michael

Yes, the test form does open and shows Installed Successfully! from webstart configuration.

regards

Rahul

edited Jul 29, 2022 3:46PM

So that suggests that in your config section you likely have the "form=" parameter but it does not include a value. Either add a value (form name) or remove the parameter from your custom named section.

EDITED:

If your form uses OPEN_FORM, CALL_FORM, or NEW_FORM in an early trigger (e.g. WHEN-NEW-FORM-INSTANCE) and the form name is missing from this call the same error will occur.

Michael Ferrante

Oracle

• User_W4Q9W

Hi Michael

Thanks for the lead, I will have a look in the form now. Form we are using is in configuration but there could be something else which is causing it, so will start with webstart configuration and add small sections one by one and see how it behaves.

regards

Rahul

• User_W4Q9W
    edited Aug 9, 2022 11:23AM

Hi

I have made some progress but still getting the below error:

Just to put some more context:

downloaded 1.20 jacob.jar file.

jacob.jar is 1.20 and all the relevant entries have been changed in webutil.cfg file as well based on Doc ID 2070183.1

appropriate .dll have been moved to win32 and win 64 folder.

We bought the certificate and have managed to sign jacob.jar file using CA (Entrust) in our case.

Jarsigner does show that the certificate is valid till July 2023 for jacob.jar and does show all the signed class files with certificates in it.

Using /em , I have changed the form=webutil_demo.fmx in webutil configuration. Form was compiled using 12.2.1.4 infrastructure and we have the .fmx file created.

As suggested somewhere, I am afraid, we can't use webutil no ole object library as client might have used Ole functionality in their code

If I try accessing webutil config section, we get below error in java console window

FRM-92090: unexpected fatal error in client-side Java code during startup

Java Exception:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/jacob/com/ComFailException

at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)

at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)

at oracle.forms.handler.UICommon.instantiate(Unknown Source)

at oracle.forms.handler.UICommon.onCreate(Unknown Source)

at oracle.forms.handler.JavaContainer.onCreate(Unknown Source)

at oracle.forms.engine.Runform.onCreateHandler(Unknown Source)

at oracle.forms.engine.Runform.processMessage(Unknown Source)

at oracle.forms.engine.Runform.processSet(Unknown Source)

at oracle.forms.engine.Runform.onMessageReal(Unknown Source)

at oracle.forms.engine.Runform.onMessage(Unknown Source)

at oracle.forms.engine.Runform.sendInitialMessage(Unknown Source)

at oracle.forms.engine.Runform.startRunform(Unknown Source)

at oracle.forms.engine.Main.createRunform(Unknown Source)

at oracle.forms.engine.Main.start(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.deploy.uitoolkit.impl.awt.AWTAppletAdapter.start(Unknown Source)

at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.jacob.com.ComFailException

at sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2ClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)

at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.loadClass0(Unknown Source)

at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

... 17 more

Running out of options here, please help.

kind regards

Rahul

If you are using Web Start you need to reference the jacob.jar file in "extensions.jnlp" and not the ARCHIVE parameter. An example of what the entry should look like is provided in the file. To edit this file, stop WLS_FORMS then open extensions.jnlp in a text editor and make the needed change(s). Be careful to match the format shown in the example because JWS is case sensitive. Save your change(s) then restart WLS_FORMS.

Michael Ferrante

Oracle

• User_W4Q9W
    edited Aug 9, 2022 12:45PM

We are not using webstart but have changed extensions.jnlp file and added jacob.jar and frmwebutil.jar there as two entries. if I use webstart configuration with form=webutil_demo.fmx, I do get the form but console shows webutil erros like:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: oracle.forms.webutil.clientInfo.GetClientInfo

Then the login screen but every tab would give errors like bean not found as webutil hasn't been loaded.

extensions.jnlp:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<jnlp spec="1.0+"

codebase="/forms/java" href="extensions.jnlp">

<information>

<title>Oracle Forms Services Extensions</title>

<vendor>Oracle Corporation</vendor>

</information>

<security>

<all-permissions/>

</security>

<resources>