• 3,838,560 Users
  • 2,262,382 Discussions
  • 7,900,688 Comments

Discussions

When to use scaler subquery

Bikram
Bikram Member Posts: 16 Green Ribbon

Hi All,

I know,we can fetch data from different tables using join condition and we can also sub-query to get the value from another table.

Can anybody tell me when we should go for scaler subquery.

Regards,

Bikram

Tagged:

Answers

• BluShadow
    BluShadow Member, Moderator Posts: 42,132 Red Diamond

There's no hard and fast rule and there are so many different situations when writing queries that it's not something that could be easily answered.

Me personally, I rarely use a scalar subquery, preferring my tables to be joined as I find that just reads clearer in the code.

Frank Kulash
  • Frank Kulash
    Frank Kulash Member, Moderator Posts: 42,243 Red Diamond
    edited Aug 5, 2022 9:54AM

Hi, @Bikram

I know,we can fetch data from different tables using join condition and we can also sub-query to get the value from another table.

Sometimes we can use a scalar sub-query to get a value from another table. A scalar sub-query can only return one column and (at most) only one row. If we need to get multiple columns from the same table, a join is probably better. If we need to get multiple rows, a join is definitely better. It usually has to be an outer join.

Aside from that, like Blushadow, I don't know of any specific rule about when a scalar sub-query is better. Like Blushadow, I use joins much more than scalar sub-queries.

• Sven W.
    Sven W. Member Posts: 10,541 Gold Crown
    edited Aug 5, 2022 10:12AM

As a general rule I would always prefer the join. but as with any rule there are exceptions.

Here are a few cases when I would consider if that is such an exception [Focus Topic in parenthesis]

• If there are many tables (> 7) in the join it can help with performance (hard parse) to move some of them into a scalar subquery [Performance]
    • Lookup tables that are technically detail tables. For example a language based name lookup. This tends to confuse the optimizer [Performance]
    • Sometimes it helps to avoid cluttering the code [Maintainability]
    • For aggregation queries I often prefer to do lookups at the end to avoid having to pass the additional value though all the layers of aggregation [Maintainability].
    • In rare cases uncorrelated subqueries can be (result) cached. This is often preferable to a join. [Performance]
    • If the subquery can be embedded in a case construct that can avoid executing the subquery is a large number of cases (short circuit evaluation). This is sometimes not easy to do in a join, althogh the optimizer still might find a better execution plan [Performance, Error Handling]