• 3,875,097 Users
  • 2,266,805 Discussions
  • 7,912,079 Comments

Discussions

Help with Install Window and Listener Service! Lenovo ThinkPad 15P

Philip.Borchert
Philip.Borchert Member Posts: 9 Green Ribbon

2 Problems

1. When installing the configure database window is too small to show the buttons.
  2. The listener Service doesn't start automatically (Tried Automatic Delayed as well)

I am running Windows 10 Workstation on a Lenovo 15P.

I have tried various display settings and DPI settings. I tried contacting Lenovo for help I've also posted on their community.

This is cross posted I am not receiving any help from the install topic.

Best Answer

• Philip.Borchert

Good Morning Everyone,

Last night I worked briefly with a Oracle employee. I just got lucky finding him and for him to help me. 

He didn't have a fix for the tiny database configuration window His remarks were that everything that happens in that window is also in a log.

To fix the Listener not starting he gave me this link: https://www.kaysariqbal.com/oracle-listener-failing/ it's not a "fix" per say but a workaround. Basically it uses some settings in the Listener Service to retry starting. His remarks were basically that the database isn't "up" / ready for the Listener so the Listener fails to start. Personally, being a dev myself I would have started but had a task/thread the could somehow detected the database not being up and either blindly restarting the Listener Service till it's up or ideally being able to check then start the listener service. At that point it would exit.  

TLDR; 1. Don't worry about the Little Dialog 2. Setup the service to try restarting 3 times and increase the time as needed.

Answers

• Philip.Borchert

Good Morning Everyone,

Last night I worked briefly with a Oracle employee. I just got lucky finding him and for him to help me. 

He didn't have a fix for the tiny database configuration window His remarks were that everything that happens in that window is also in a log.

To fix the Listener not starting he gave me this link: https://www.kaysariqbal.com/oracle-listener-failing/ it's not a "fix" per say but a workaround. Basically it uses some settings in the Listener Service to retry starting. His remarks were basically that the database isn't "up" / ready for the Listener so the Listener fails to start. Personally, being a dev myself I would have started but had a task/thread the could somehow detected the database not being up and either blindly restarting the Listener Service till it's up or ideally being able to check then start the listener service. At that point it would exit.  

TLDR; 1. Don't worry about the Little Dialog 2. Setup the service to try restarting 3 times and increase the time as needed.