Forum Stats

• 3,874,164 Users
  • 2,266,675 Discussions
  • 7,911,745 Comments

Discussions

New Connection cannot open Oracle wallet file.

User_835II
User_835II Member Posts: 5 Red Ribbon

From the VS code terminal when I run sqlplus /@tns_connection_name I am able to connect however when I try to use my wallet in the new connection dialog, I get the error "Details: ORA-12578: TNS:wallet open failed".

This is working with an on-premise Oracle database

Best Answer

• User_835II
    Answer ✓

I was trying to connect to the database using the oracle developer tools for VS code however when I clicked the "Create Connection" button I got the error "Details: ORA-12578: TNS:wallet open failed".

I did more troubleshooting today and found the problem was in the tnsnames files I was provided. The alias for the connection had a "." in it and when I removed that I no longer received the error and was able to create the connection.

Answers

• Christian.Shay -Oracle
    Christian.Shay -Oracle Posts: 2,241 Employee
    edited Oct 25, 2022 4:21PM

Are you sure you mean to run sqlplus? Why not connect inside oracle developer tools for VS code? You should not need to run SQLPLus.

In any case, some googling suggests that this error may be due to extra spaces or missing parenthesis for WALLET_LOCATION in SQLNET.ORA. Please carefully check the SQLNET.ORA.

• User_835II
    Answer ✓

I was trying to connect to the database using the oracle developer tools for VS code however when I clicked the "Create Connection" button I got the error "Details: ORA-12578: TNS:wallet open failed".

I did more troubleshooting today and found the problem was in the tnsnames files I was provided. The alias for the connection had a "." in it and when I removed that I no longer received the error and was able to create the connection.